Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this D60 worth it ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater74, Apr 5, 2002.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i got a handle on D60 from a dually it 4.56 geared and missing one hub and i think he said one locking hub? or somthing like that. dang it i cant remember what he said. but still if it's missing one hub is it worth it. i guess i should put a price on this he wants $500

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Chris,

I think the deal with the "dually" D60's is that they are wider than a "normal" D60. Not a big deal because it is possible to get the hubs machined to make them identical to a standard D60....but it adds cost. I think someone mentioned a few hundred bucks for the machining....

You also mentioned that it's missing a hub anyway.....so maybe you could buy 1 replacement hub and have the other one machined? In either case, it sounds like an OK deal.....but considering what you'll still have to deal with.....it's not a GREAT deal.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks Greg, yeh i feel that it's not a great deal but i also don't feel like i'm getting completely ripped either, i'm still kinda up in the air about this. i can just see my wifes expression now if i came home with this thing in the back of the truck. "you paid $500 for that /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif"

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I think it was Blazin91 that had a line on setting up the dually dana 60's.

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

$500 ain't bad considering it's a dually. See if he could come down on the price and then you could use it for parts if you happened to find one in better condition. Spare shafts, spindles, and brake parts add up quick....

Just my .02
    BIGJ

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh $500 not to bad but $400 would be better. i figure even if i pay $500 for and get new hubs for say $400 new locking hubs for a $150 and some misc. brake parts for lets say $150, i'm still better of then $2500 for a boyce D60. I'm just a little shakey about forking out $500 for some thing.

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I can understand being shakey about forking out $500. I used to feel the same way. But, after forking out $300 here and $475 there, $500 ain't so bad. All the little stuff adds up anyway. Parts for this 1 ton stuff ain't cheap. A detroit for that dana 60 will be AT LEAST $480. And it doesn't really get any cheaper from here on out /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . Then you'll want bigger tires, driveshafts, more lift, maybe a cage, you get the idea.

BIGJ

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh ahah yeh ah ah ah yeh yehyeh (twitch) heheheheh./forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Thats the truth.............. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif