Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this doubler combination possitle?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by BurbinOR, Jan 17, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, actually I figure anything is possible, but is this something I just need to procure parts to do --

T350 trans (or for that matter 700R4) - NP203 for a T350 - NP205 for a T350.

Reason I ask is I have a T350 (newly rebuilt, very strong), already have the NP203 from the factory, and have a line on a NP205 locally for a T350 with adapter.

Thanks in advance................

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

2. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

It's possible. A good friend used a 27 spline shaft to mate his NP203/NP205 combo. But I dunno if Stephan sells that shaft or not.

--Rob

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like the Gen. I you are asking about.

If we can get enough demands for the Gen. I to come back, Stephen should be able to put it back into production, you would think?

I want a Gen. I Doubler for my 465.

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

yes , i just finished doing it myself I had a turbo 350 tranny that was just rebuilt very strong used a 203 from 350 turbo and a 205 for a 350 turbo i used the 203 shaft and had Moser cut it to length and respline and heat treat it. would have went with ORD stuff but no more Gen I doublers being made wish we could get enough people interested to bring it back i went this route because i already had all the parts to do it this way.

MD79

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Very cool info............did you have to take the 203 completely apart or did the shaft come out without disassembly. Please let me know...........and thanks.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

6. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

i havent tested this setup yet in the process of converting to a front D60 in my 79 shortbed. this setup is a little longer than the Gen II doubler dosent seem to be a big issue on my shortbed not for sure in a blazer i built my own adapter and used the factory adaptor between 205 and 203 box still have to make my shifters and linkages, i can send you some pics and some of my drawings if you want, i built my own driveshafts and all pieces i needed excecpt the main shaft had Moser do it, go to www.bc4x4.com and look in the tech section under wrenching it should give you a good idea on how it is done he actualy used a 700r4 tranny, my set up is similar it is not really hard to do but i did have access to all machines needed to do this but the shaft, it only cost about $100 give or take a few to have shaft and coupler done at Moser, hope this helps.

MD79

7. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

think this will make it clickable
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2000/gordtcases/gordtcases.cfm>www.bc4x4.com/tech/2000/gordtcases/gordtcases.cfm</a>

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't think the 27 spline shaft is up to big tires. We've had a couple of broken 27 spline shaft back here, one was a TH350 input gear, the other was one of ours. That's one reason we make you use a 32 spline shaft. Plus the length, cost of the factory 205 adapter, cost of replacement 205 adapter if it breaks and lack of clocking ability, or simple clocking ability. Plus everyone wants the beefier part so there is really very little demand for the Th350 gen1 kit now.
    We might be better off just building what people want, but at this point I really think the GEN2 is a better way to spend your money. For some guys the Gen1 style will work fine, even long term, but for hard use it's not as strong and I hate to see you have to spend the money twice. With a GEN2, you can do anything you want with it, power, tires and driving style are all up to you.
    Think about this, a new adapter to replace the TH350/205 housing is $350 or more. Drivesleeves will run $100 - $125. Input gear is $150 or more.
    I'd say sell the whole TH350 setup to someone that wants it with a TH700 or TH350 and start with a 10 spline 205. It may be cheaper overall anyway.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Being that I run 35" tires and *more than likely* won't go bigger, add in the fact that I have the T350, NP203, and NP205 already, I can't see selling it all and starting over. No way, especially if it has already been done. I just somehow have to figure the disconnect between your response basically quoting $350 for the 350/205 housing (what are you saying here?), another drivesleeve $100plus the input gear for $150. Think I'm in over my head on misunderstanding what you are saying versus the Ryeguy and mudduck making it sound like a simple adapter/shaft cut/respline/heat treat on the 203 output..............

Can anyone clear this up for me?

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The problems we were running into are guys that don't have the TH350 version 205 that needed the shorter length. We were selling a lot of new input gears, drivesleeves and adapter housings. At this point you end up ahead in strength and price starting with a manual version NP205 and going with the GEN2 compared to buying conversion parts to make the 205 a TH350 version then buying a Doubler for it.
    GEN2:
    Doubler kit $740
    Conversion of NP205 to 32 spline input $250

GEN1:
    Convert NP205 to TH350 version, roughly $500
    Doubler kit $740

The TH350 conversion parts can vary a lot but I had to price new or mostly new parts. Of course this gets a lot cheaper if you already have the parts or buy used.

We've quit the GEN1 type because of this cost, and the length. I'm not ruling out building some more in the future but we can't jump back on it right now. I also like the fact that the Gen2 is good for any tire/power combo as I mentioned before.
    Is there anyone else looking for a TH350 GEN1 Doubler? Maybe we can look into it more seriously.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

11. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I would like to see the Gen1 come back because I have a Turbo 305 version 205 and I also have a 400/203 combo. This would prevent me from having to disassemble my 205 to have the bearing hole machined, and buy the 32 spline female conversion parts. It would save me some bucks!

'85 K5 : 330 HP-350/350/205/FF14/D60/36 inch TSL's

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the 205 is SO easy to disassemble.
    no special tools required(maybe a dummyshaft and the proper snapring pliers i guess)

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i would love to see it come back. but at the same time i wouldnt. i need to use the gen 2 because i am planning on running 39.5 boggers or thornbirds.
    grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wont go bigger than 35s Blazzin? Come on now, i know you want those 39.5" Swampers! or bare minimum some wide 37s! ;)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

16. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

yes a drive sleeve was used it also had to be worked by Moser, and i am sure they could reproduce the adaptor me and my brother did mine and i am working on making another one, i am only running 35s and dont plan on going bigger on my rig havent tested it yet but truck should be ready soon.

MD79

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status