Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this drag link angle ok?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Sep 1, 2005.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my old 2.5" Rough Country springs with 4" BDS's. It is way better than before, but I was wondering if this angle was ok. I offroad pretty hard when I do, so will it be chill? I have a guy with a 6" lift and steering correction that would sell me his, would it work here?
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That angle is a bit much. You want the draglink to be level.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

steering arm will fix that

4. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

What's better, a drop steering arm or a raised drag link? I think my buddy only has the raised drag link, but I won't be sure until I see his truck this weekend. With a 6" lift could he have both??

5. timmay

timmay Registered Member

I would use a dropped pitman arm, the one on the steering box. (which is different than a raised steering arm)

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It looks too much to me as well but, as much as I hate to disagree with Muddytazz, I put a 4" arm on mine and it made the arm level to the ground. This gave me really bad bump steer. You need a bit of drop in the arm to compensate for the upwards/rearwards movement of the axle. As the axle rises it travels backwards too because of the shackles. The drag link needs to follow this arc too. If it is level to start with it fights againts the arc of the axle and causes bump steer.
    I should think a 2" pitman would do the job.
    Just my 2 pennies worth taken from nasty experiences!!

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had a raised steering arm..... but Panther has it on the d44 I sold him.... I may have my drop pitman arm but have to look. I am going away on vacation today at noon so wont be able to check until monday night.. drop me a pm if you are interested... really dont want much as it is taking up space and im trying to clean up....

lemme know
    Jeff

since I went d60 I didnt need the steering arm... and went xover so dont need the pitman arm....

xover is soooooo nice :bow: