Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this enough power for my 85 Suburban

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr7dblzero, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Mr7dblzero

Mr7dblzero Registered Member

I have a 1985 Suburban that wieghs around 5200lbs and I will be installiing a 8" superlift w/38" TSL. Right now I have a 350 4bolt main engine with a performer intake and a 600holley carb I also have exhaust, that's about it. I was told that this isn't enough power that I need at least a 454 engine, but let me tell you that the gas prices here in Hawaii is outrageous. Can I get enough power out of my 350 to power through sand and mud oh yea this is my everyday user? Let me know.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With 38" tires it isn't about the power (it is somewhat) its about gear ratio's. With 38" tires you will want to run 4.56 gears or better in the axles, and it will make up for the large tires. A 350 will be fine with 38's if you have the correct gear ratio. So go to a site like www.4lo.com and use some of there calculators to decide where you want you cruise RPM, and experiment with different axle gear ratios. (4.10, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13).

3. Mr7dblzero

Mr7dblzero Registered Member

That's kewl I thought that I had more then enough power. Would you recommend getting locker's or limited slip? and or for both f/b or just the back?

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I've seen people have good luck with 4.88's and 38's. I would (personally) run a Detroit Locker in the rear at least, 38's will tear up a stock carrier in a hurry. Or an ARB if the full time locker doesn't agree with you.