Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IS this exhaust a good deal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jan 12, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a rebuilt 350 with the plain exhaust manifolds (non ram horn.)
    The current exhaust is rusted out.
    WHat I want is 2 1/4" duals with an H-pipe with cheap turbo mufflers running straight out the back. SHould keep it fairly quiet and still flow as well as manifolds are going to, right?
    They quote me $265 for everything without the H-pipe, $300 for everything including labor with the H-Pipe.
    $300 sound like an OK deal? It's a single-store exhaust place, not a chain.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

sounds like a fair deal to me if the parts they use are good enough for you. You could catalog shop for the headers and mufflers that you want and take them with you when you get it done. That might even save you a few more dollars.
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Oh and one more thing I highly recomend you route the dumped gas behind the wheel wells instead of straight back. If you cruise with your rear window down you will smell like you just got of work from the oil refinery. Exiting the side will help alleviate this problem, but only at higher speeds.
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds like a good price if they use either galvanized or aluminized pipe so it does not rust out in about a year.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I just put a Catback exhaust on my Sub. It was a single 2 chamber Flowmaster and the mandrel bent pipe exiting out behind the back wheel, all 3". That cost me 200 installed. So yours sound fair.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you want to be changing the mufflers again soon, then it's an OK deal. The cheap turbo mufflers are made out of very thin, very low grade metal. The fittings on the end of most of them aren't even welded into place. They're just crimped. I'd say spend the $50 extra to get good quality mufflers, like Flowmasters, so you'll have a system that will last.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're going this route, I'd buy the Dynomax manifold dual kit from Jeg's. It's $115.

Pick your choice of mufflers, if you like flows, buy them, that's another $120.

A flowmaster pre-made H pipe is $30.

That's $265 with a full dual exhaust, flowmaster mufflers, and a crossover pipe.

For a little over $300 you could have the painted headers ($90) and the same 2 1/4" dual exhaust.

It exits behind the rear wheels, it's 2 1/4", and can be installed in probably two hours. It took me an hour to run the pipes and everything from the headers to the bumper at the most.

I personally prefer side exits. No steam blocking your vision when the engine is cold and you're trying to back up. In a Blazer, you don't want to breathe fumes. I think it looks better on a truck, personally. And when you like yours as loud as I do, I like how the side exits echo off bridges and underpasses.

It's up to you, but honestly, this is the best deal I've found on exhaust. It's some THICK pipe too!! Mine is a year old, and not a spec of rust anywhere on it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles