Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this for real?? Or another Ebay gimick!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Dec 11, 2003.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

2. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Never seen one of those. Would be a kewl way to do it, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I cant really figure how it works? *IM not a smart MAN*

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I've seen them before. They sort of get sandwiched between flywheel/flexplate and crank. They are thick and can give you problems with clearances for torque convereter or clutch.

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've used one of those before (still have it ) I had no problems with mine (used mine with a 454 in front of a SM 465 ) there OKAY to use just keep the RPM's down I ran mine until I could afford a Flywheel then pulled it out if you can afford it I would buy a flywheel instead of this and that's a bad price anyways I got mine for 12 bucks at my machine shop

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i have used those things with no trouble at all for years on race cars,,,turning in excess of 7500 rpms.....the thickness factor is negligable considering the clutch is adjustable and the converter had at least 1/4 inch of play to work with....it is simple and cheaper than buying a weighted flywheel...IMHO

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

still recommend taking wheel/plate in for balance check at a shop no matter what though

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

this will work very well a co-worker that was building a 400 small block to cascar specs. Had used a similler one to make a 350 flywheel fit a 400 as they are next to inposable to find a(manual)flywheel for a 400 and he said it worked great so... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    this will work very well a co-worker that was building a 400 small block to cascar specs. Had used a similler one to make a 350 flywheel fit a 400 as they are next to inposable to find a(manual)flywheel for a 400 and he said it worked great so... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the biggest rips ever! Guys tell other guys that a 400 SB balanced, manual tranny flywheel is impossible to find, when one from a 454, is basicly the same thing.

This balance plate is cheaper than a flywheel, but do you still need a balanced harmonic balancer?

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

This balance plate is cheaper than a flywheel, but do you still need a balanced harmonic balancer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you do. My 388 uses a ext. balanced harmonic dampner and weight that has been welded to the flywheel mounting flange on the crankshaft. This is a rather handy method of balancing a externally balanced engine because it allows you to swap flywheels/flexplates with out a need to rebalance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Summit sells a balancing plate similiar to the one in the Ebay ad for use with their 383 kits. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif