Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this going to work???( homemade front driveshaft)**updated**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tipoil, Dec 21, 2002.

1. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

I was wondering is my CRAZY tought is going to work or should i keep on drinking beer and forget about it!!!
    Here it goes:

take this (picture 5.8) and put it in place of my dead (picture 5.7) in my front driveshaft.(np 203 d44)
    I've got one laying around here from a tayata 4 runner and i've got a freind that have is machine shop that is willing to do the adapter to bolt it to my 203 front flange.
    Also i know a heep guy how as done that to is cj5 front driveshaft and prove to be strong (he did a few front brunout whit the rear driveshaft off). The only problem he had was whit the cv joint over heating at highway speed (he as maybe 6 inch of lift whit maybe 2 to 3 inch of transfer case drop (to help the rear drive shaft) whit 4.?? gear and 35 inch tire). After that he give up and "slammed" the cj and only drive it on the street.(One less heep to pull out the mud hole!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif).

So pleeeeze give ur feedback i realy need it!!!!!

by the way CK5 RUUUULEZZZZ!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Is this going to work???( homemade front driveshaft)

The 5.8 pic looks like every other chevy shaft I have seen ???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Ahemmm, I would have thought with 4000+ posts you would notice little things like 2 Double cardan joints on one shaft?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    It is not like evry other front chevy driveshaft.
    Now from what I have seen when working with a double cardan joint I think it could work, the Double cardan is not just an H and 2 U joints, it has a ball and socket thing in between that keeps the angles eaqual.
    I don't know how strong it is, so I would try it carefully.
    It might break and you would have a driveshaft that whips like a jumping rope.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've seen CV's run at both ends of a shaft.. but not on a front shaft. The CV takes up a bit more room and would make for more extreme of an angle adding one to the pinion end of the shaft.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Ahemmm, I would have thought with 4000+ posts you would notice little things like 2 Double cardan joints on one shaft?

[/ QUOTE ] How would posting over 4,000 post have any effect on what I have seen in my driveway? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    you would notice little things like 2 Double cardan joints

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's that what I said??

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I just reread your post. are you looking at putting one on each end of the drive shaft? one at the transfercase and one at the pinion?

If so, then I don't think it would work.

7. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

"Figure 5-8.- Rzeppa constant velocity (CV) joint." That loks like what is in the front of my mom's minivan. It uses big ball bearings instead of cardan joints.

8. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

Sorry for all the confusion guy's!! that's my fault!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    I'm not that good that good in english(i speek french!same thing for the spelling..sorry)
    I will try to clear the thing up a bit.
    My front driveshaft has a normal joint(at the pinion)and a cv(2 u joint and a centering ball in between them) at the transfer case.(the reason for the pic,was because there was a other tread on the board arguing the name of that joint(cv or non-cv or...)
    What i plan of doing is to keep ALL of the shaft EXEPT for the top part(double u joint and ball)and put rzeppa joint(same joint that front wheel drive car have and IFS 4x4(not the one close to the trany or diff,but the one close to the wheel)) instead of the factory double joint,and fabbing a adapter plate to bolt it up to the front output shaft flange at the np203.
    So if i'm still not clear please fell free to tell me(i Wont get mad),i will try my best to clear it up.

If someone is willing to tell me how to post a pic in a message i will try to show a pic of what i'm trying to do.

I also uptaded my profile saying i stink in english!!!
    Wish i was in /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif whit u guy's!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

ttt

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

First, the CV as they call it here or double cardan joint which is the correct name for it is stronger than the CV joint that is in the front wheel drive cars or trucks.
    The balls wear of the grooves under heavy loads and big tires do that.
    Plus over all the design is weaker, the only thing that is better is the smoother trans mission of the rotationnal forces.
    I wouldn't recomend using this type.
    And if you can't express yourself in english very well, you can send me a PM in French, my french is even better than my english.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Duh
    That is what I was saying, you didn't look closely at the picture.
    Just yanking your chain.
    I was saying that someone that has been here that long, would look at details better.
    I guess you were sleepy and didn't see the fuzzy picture.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Anyway, after studying the design of a Double cardan joint, I say that theoretically 2 DCjoints would work, but I don't know how much torque they can take in this configuration.
    What I would do is probably use the first on a supported shaft, like the 1 ton 2wd trucks have, and the second one would be mobile after the support, and I believe you will need a long travel slip shaft.