Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this k-5 a good deal and will it fit my needs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fourwheelinj1, Oct 4, 2002.

1. fourwheelinj1

fourwheelinj1 Registered Member

My brother is in the market for a K-5. It will be his first 4x4 and he is not exactly a wrenchhead, so i am trying to help him out. He wants to buy a K-5 put a 4in lift and 35's on it. He wants it to be a weekend/play vehicle that he will take offroad (mudding and mild trail riding) some as well. We have looked at a lot of blazer and have found a lot of them to be in pretty bad shape. Ideally we wanted one with a manual trans and a 350. That hasn't worked out very well, so we found a 85 with a 305 and a 3 speed trans. I am not sure what trans it has, but it has L gear and then 1-2-3. The gear ratio is 3.08, so i would replace the axles with 3/4 tons with factory ratio of 4:10. The truck is really clean and has very little rust. It has 120,000 miles and runs good. I want to know if $4000 seems like a reasonable price to pay. The NADA price of it is only $3200, so it seems like they want a little to much. There is no power windows or locks, but that just means less to break. He is not lookin to have huge power just enough to be a decent on/off road rig. Will the 305 with manual trans and 4.10 gears be ok? Also the truck currently has 32's with the 3.08 ratio and its ok onroad, will the 35's and 4.10 preform better or at least as good as the current setup. Like i said we are new to 4x4's of this scale so any help would be appreciated.

2. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sounds like it has a turbo 350 tranny and the best way to buy is to find one that has what u want or at least the closest to it and how much work u want to do to it. u should take in to thought that the amount of money u are going to want to spend . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If it has L and 1,2,3 that is a manual, and it would be the SM465, which is great for wheeling, it would be mated to an NP208, which has 2.65:1 ratio.
    If all you plan on puttig is 35" you would be fine with the 305 and 4.10 for wheeling, and your highway speeds would be closer to legal limits than todays trucks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    and if it's clean like you say, $4000 isn't much to pay and you can never rely on any book to evaluate those older trucks. How much does the blue book say a '84 corvette is worth? You can't even get close to it for less than $6000.
    Just make sure it has a good engine, and no rust, and as you said the less power things the better for a wheeler.
    IceMan