Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this legal? *apartment building complaint*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Nov 11, 2004.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I moved into an apartment a few months ago. There is a sump pump directly under our bedroom. It is a small building and this is the only pump. This pump will turn on about every minute when it rains and run for about 10 seconds. It will continue to cycle on/off for several days after a rain, just not as frequently. I was suspicious that this pump was wired to our aparment, and I was right. The pump uses the electricity that I pay for. They made no mention of this when I rented the place. Is this legal?

2. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

i would have to say no...but reguardless, i would think you certainly have a legitimate gripe with ur apt folks....

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The pump deal is annoying, not only because I have to pay for it, but it messes up my computer screen and dims the lights when it turns on. I want out of the lease for other reasons also, I wonder if this could be a good excuse?

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Rather have muddy floody ?

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

No, but I also don't like being financially responsible for others - that's what my taxes are for.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

CHECK THE FLOAT. Mabey it stuck.Could save you some money /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    CHECK THE FLOAT. Mabey it stuck.Could save you some money /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

Looks like it's time to put ur game face on!!! Storm in there, and don't give 'em any mercy....them apartment people rape folks as is...so go give 'em some!!!

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

First thing I would do is call the power company so you can have a document that it is indead wired to your apartment's electricity. Then I'd go into the apt. managers office and show him/her the document and request too move to a different apt. in the building/complex. If that fails, I'd consitter moving out all together.

10. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

If it messes with your computer then it is definitey wired into your electric.....kick his ass seabass /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ya, it's for sure using my juice. If I turn off my main breaker for a few minutues and then turn it back on the pump starts immediately(sp?). I may do as Z3 said and get it documented first by the power company if it's possible. Our city buys power from the power company and then resells it to us, so I may have to go through the city.

12. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you want out of the lease just let the manager know that you got laid off.

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I doubt the electric company would have any documents showing what is wired to your apt. I think it would be easy enough to bring the manager to your apt oin one the days when it is cycling and turn the power on and off a few times and show them it is running off your electricuty. Chances are they already know about it though....maybe you could disconnect the power someone how and be like /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif..."shiat I ain't no maintenece man" /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

If it wasnt disclosed to you that a sump pump would be running constantly and that it is wired to your apt (if you pay the electric bill) then you have a legit gripe, however Im not sure if that gets you out of the lease. If the apt owner compensates you somehow for the electricity and makes the pump quiet I think you might still be locked in. I'd definately talk to him/her cause you have a legit gripe.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You are not required to pay a shared portion of the electricity for general utilities- Although it is a lot cheaper for the electricians to wire up house appliances to one unit, generally they have a "baseline" amount they know it costs to run the lights, pumps, etc,and your rent/etc is is reduced by the same amount.

I would definately get an electrician to confirm this, write it down, then have him "cut" the pump wire. Right after, go to the apt board and complain- "The electrician found someone stealing my electricity that I pay for, and I am gonna sue as soon as I find out who it is."

When the basement floods..(and what do you care right?) say that you smell mold, and you want out. if they say no, sue them for stealing your electricity.

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It is against the law for a landlord to rent any unit in
    which you the tenant must pay for utilities for common
    areas of the building or for other tenants, unless
    the landlord gives you certain information. The
    information must be in writing before the lease is
    signed or other rental agreement is made. If
    this happens to you, check with an attorney to
    see if you got the proper information. Also, it
    is against the law for a landlord in a multi-unit
    building with a master meter to demand that
    the tenants pay a share of the utilities, unless
    the landlord tells the tenants in writing how she
    or she splits utility payments among the tenants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is what I have found from an Illinois renters guide, it seems like it is illegal. Nothing about running a pump was ever mentioned. I checked out some other things also. There are two breaker boxes in the hall that are behind the same access door, ours and one for another apartment. Out of the bottom of ours there is an electrical outlet with a heat tape for water pipes plugged into it, who knows where that goes to. I will follow the advice given me and try to get it documented, then threaten a lawsuit and see if I can get out of the lease with no penalty. There are other problems I have here also, but nothing that any legal action can be taken against or that would get me out of the lease, so if this works it will be ok by me.

17. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Good luck to you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif