Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this legit?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by skyyk5, Jan 22, 2007.

1. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

i've been thinking if this is right to do. i love my k5 prob. becuase i have turned most every bolt on it over time, but. i want to change it so much with the things i've learned here and during my build that it would be easyier to start with a new bare frame and only use the trans, bellhousing and some other small stuff for the rebuild. the new version would look somewhat the same. so what i' asking is would it be legit to call the "new k5" the same name as the one i have after it's been retired. stupid question, but been thinking about it.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Do they not allow nOObs to utilize the "SHIFT" anymore??????????????

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I'm actually pondering a similar question myself... two similar questions... why don't newbs use the shift key anyway?

secondly... I'm replacing everything on my truck except the frame and the steering box. Is it still the same truck? can I paint it yellow and continue to call it the short bus, or is that era over, and I need to come up with another incredibly stupid 'theme' =)

4. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

i'll tell you why this newby dosen't use the shift much, but it's a long storie

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

ZING!!!:D

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I think it comes from texting or the lack of ability to push a button with their pinkies.

7. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

It's not a stupid question. As a matter of fact, there is a lot of debate about it (sort of). Maybe not for a K5, but take this example...

I have a 1968 GTO convertible. It's red with a red interior. I've had it since I was 18. Now say I was driving down the road and I got T-boned at an intersection. Is it legal to take my GTO tag and find a Lemans or Tempast and re-badge it? Most would say no. Okay, what if my GTO had rusted out quarter panels. Could I take the quarters off of the Lemans? Most would say yes. Where does it stop? Say, my frame and drivetrain are good, but the body is shot. Can I swap the Lemans body over? And, is it still a GTO? Who knows?

As far as "new" cars, you can build a brand new Camero or 57 Chevy, but they are considered "Kit Cars" in most states.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Or spellcheck.........................................:D

Don't worry about it being long, you should make a gallant attempt at bringing the entertainment to this place. I'm sure we could understand adult beverage being shot through your nose at supersonic speeds after clicking on the phonetrace.org links that's running rampant right now or something along those lines................

So hey yo, tell us a story..................:bow:

9. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

i'll tell some now and some later.
    i've been away from the computer for 6 years working 70 hr. work weeks to buy the things i thought would make me happy. i knew all my home keys and was great at typing in second grade, then i moved to p.a. and didn't see a computer in school till high school. i have been on ck5 since i found it back around 2000 ish but never became a member till now, since i didn't have the time. more later..............

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my old boss had many (10-15)GTO's hell he was PontiacPete, sold a lot of parts, one of the things he got big bucks for was little baggies with ownerships and tags of cars that got crushed or were way too far gone, instant numbers matching car:D

if you keep it as the same project and dont have both at the same time I would say you can keep the name

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

GTO VS Lemans....

I had a '69 GTO years ago...I miss that car!..:doah:

I learned it was a different (shorter) wheelbase, and the trunk lid and rear quarters were shorter than a Lemans is, by about 3",when I tried using them off a '69 Lemans I found at a scrapyard!..so if you try selling a Lemans as a GTO--hope the guy buying isn't a purist,that knows his GTO's--all he'd need is a tape measure to see its a fake...not sure if this applies to other years,but thats how I found out they ARE different cars!..they LOOK close enough,but no cigar when it comes to swapping parts like trunk lids and rear quarters..:crazy:

(Later on I found out the "Custom "S" Lemans " I bought for parts was RARER than my GTO was!..AFTER I cut it up!..and it was in pretty decent shape too!--I should have just fixed that car up too!:doah: )...

We sold many "hulks" at the boneyard far beyond any hopes of ever being restoreable--we knew most of the ones buying them only wanted the title and tags--but we played dumb..as long as we got the price our boss wanted for them,we didn't care.. you can get in big trouble here attaching VIN plates,but a lot of nice muscle cars that would have been unable to be registered were saved when they got swapped...

Most of the customers with the muscle cars had no title, because some boob lost it,but the RMV makes getting another one next to impossible if you dont know the former owners adress,etc--so people get around the law any way possible..sucks they have to be so anal about titles,and make criminals out of old car restorers..my friend had to buy a title from a junkyard in Alabama for his 62 Nova,after he found the one that came with it had a lein on it from 1967--the garage that put the lein on it was torn down many years ago,and the owner died long ago--but no way to erase the lein,accoring to the RMV!..:screwy:

12. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

let's see "why i don't use the shift key". well this year i lost my job after 7 years of 60-70 hr work weeks, lost the girl i was going to give a ring next month. and worst of all met my dream girl,(different girl) had everything in common with me, including truck, the outdoors, music, and view of life. i don't even know how i lost her, she just said i need time, and stopped talking to me. that is what is the worst of all the loses. since i was always was able to walk away without a care, but not this time. now i don't care for my fully loaded sierra, my four quads, or anything else i own. it's all for sale. thought it made me happy, but nope. i parked everthing but the blazer, drive it everyday, don't know why. so i don't care about much now, why should i care about the SHIFT key? now i'm telling you a bunch of stuff that sounds corny and stupid (and i don't even know you). (used shift again) but that don't matter since ck5 has been the only thing to make me smile in two months, and it keeps my mind elsewhere. so if you don't mind i'll skip on the SHIFT key for a while, but try to start using it more in the future.

13. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

If you do come up with a new theme can I steal the old one for my Sububan wheeler?

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Gotcha. :waytogo: You're telling us this, because you're ghey as the rest of us! :haha:

15. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

:haha::haha::haha:

16. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I'm really thinking of keeping the shortbus thing going. I figure with a cab on a blazer frame, and the blazer frame bobbed at the rear spring hangers... it's going to look 'special'. I roughed out the flatbed, will be something like 3'8" to 3'10"... definately less than 4'. Thats it. ITS STAYING THE SHORT BUS. now I can start painting my huge stack of parts. Anything wrong with yellow leaf springs? =)

17. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

so your public school system sucked anal cavities, and if you ever learned to ride a bike, and drove a car for a week, would then need training wheels again? shift key, tab, spaces, punctuation, spellcheck, lol carry on

18. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for understanding. I will try harder. Now back to k5's:rolleyes:

19. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

K5's too...

20. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Sorry about that, but i did better.