Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this noraml

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Feb 14, 2006.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

...or am I just sheltered.

Took the shafts out of my 10blt today and I was suprised.

Is there no seal or bearing on the inside of the inner "c" thats welded to the tube???

I took em out and there was a few mud chunks in my axle tube and my shafts were rusty almost to the inner seal on the carrier.

Also, did gm not make their own shafts? I took mine out and they say Spicer on em.

One other thing... recommedation on part numbers for upper and lower balljoints. I would like something greasable.

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I can tell ya in a couple days. :D

My stock ball joints are greasable. I went out and looked at them after you brought them up today. I've never changed them or anything, maybe I should...

I gotta go to Napa sometime here this week to get my bearings/seals, I'll ask about them then.

Glad you got it all apart, how long did that other side take ya?

Al

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

For the shafts, yes, that is normal
    For Balljoints, go Moog, Spicer or Napa. Moog is cheap via Summit, but if you cant wait that long, Napa has quality stuff for slightly more $
    All balljoints should be greasable, but the upper ball joint cannot have the zerk in place witht the axle shaft in there, so they have a plug to install after you have greased the joint.

Just in case you dont have them yet, you will need 2 special tools for Ball joints:
    1. Ball Joint Press (Rent at Autozone ~$100, return when finished)
    2. Upper Ball Joint Spanner Wrench/Camber Adjustment Tool ~$10-$20 (run a quick search and you will find some locations for these, or make your own)

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No there are no factory seals that go in the inner C. Make sure you vacuum out the tubes good before you slide the shafts back in and push all that dirt/rust into the diff. Many people use a piece of 1.5" PVC cut in half long wise so when you slide the axle in it slides on the clean PVC and not the gunk. Cut it short enough to fit inside the tube with the axle installed all the way that way if you have to replace a shaft on the trail you can pull the PVC out clean it and use it the same way again.:D

Anyway back to ball joints. Moog all the way.

The Moog have a zerk that sticks out the side so it can be serviced without removing the shafts.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am not real experianced with 10-bolts, but isn't there supposed to be an axle seal about 4" or so into the axle tube?

6. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The inner seals are in towards the diff.