Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this normal for a Water Pump???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Jul 7, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This happened on my big block in my Camaro...
    At about 6,200 rpms. I thought i blew the engine, when all i was hearing was my water pump gernading in half, destroying the water pump, flex fan, radiator, fan shroud, water pump pulleys, and crank pulleys. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    And it smashed the inside of the hood pretty good, even chipping the paint on the outside of the hood in two places. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

This is an edelbrock water pump that is supposed to be a contingency item with the NHRA according to summit racing.
    Has anyone seen this happen to a water pump before?

I can see a casting line on the inside of the water pump... following where the water pump cracked in half... I'm thinking this could be an imperfection in the casting which weakened it.

Do you think Edelbrock will replace this pump or pay for the cost of it?
    My friends tell me they should be paying for more than just that water pump!
    Anyone dealt with Edelbrock? They seem like a reputable enough company they might warranty the pump and pay for a new one or something. ? /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Time to order my CSI electric water pump, Be cool radiator, electric fans, billet pulleys.... etc...

2. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

ouch??? never seen that, it must have been under a lot of strain, but i don't think it should have snapped like that. was it a new part?? if so send it back. good luck /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Check your warranty. Depends on what it says. Write Edelbrock, send the pictures in and see what they say.

4. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I had a similar experience on the strip with a Edelbrock water pump but mine didn't just split in half mine grenaded into about 5 pieces, I did the same that your doing we put on a CSI electric pump. I didn't even think to call edelbrock, heck mine did happen at a wee bit higher of an rpm 6800to be exact. Jesse

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

only had the main shaft bearing go out on my stock one.it started smoking so i shut it off before it actually fell all the way apart.that was a nasty break.of course i dont really run much over 4000 rpm either

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Wow! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You should stop using a 5 foot cheater bar to stretch the belts when you're setting the tension /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. An inch of play is fine... Never seen that one before, I'd definately call Edelbrock on it.</font color>

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I wouldn't tell them you were using a spacer.They may not warrenty it if you say you used a spacer.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Oh......by the way.

Ryan asked me to make a small correction to his original post. The engine speed was acutally 16,200 RPM instead of the 6200 RPM he originally stated.

Do you think this makes a difference?

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif ROTFLMAO /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif HOLY COW ! look at the way that thing chewed into the radiator! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Damn dude... thats impressive. At least you have pics of it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tori-
    Yeah, I'm pretty proud of destroying the radiator in both of my vehicles within about a month of each other. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    At least this radiator i won't be changing out front of your house in pismo beach. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif