Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 27, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

A few weeks ago I was playing in the snow with the 84 Jimmy and got stuck (refer to another post for more info...) and I got stuck real bad. When I tried to back out my tires starting spinning...then i THINK I got some axle wrap (never had it in the Jimmy before) and when that happened...it felt like the whole tranny (sm465) was shaking. Is this normal? Its never happened before (from what I can recall).

Also, just so I don't have to make another post...
    I don't know anything about engines...so bare with me.
    The last few months the Jimmy has been slow responding when I am on the gas. I would drive in the snow, and when I started to slow down I would give it more gas (to keep the momentum up) or when I was "cruising" and stepped on it, the engine would stumble and take a second or two to respond.
    So like I said...bare with me. What is wrong, and how can I fix it?
    I tested to make sure it wasn't just because it was cold [ I tried when it was around 10* celsius out... I slowed down, then stepped on the gas...and it still stumbled a lot] what is wrong??????
    :confused:

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The stumbling sounds like you might be a little lean in the carbonator.

The 465 shimmy sounds like some clutch slip? How old is the clutch plate?

If it was a one time event I wouldn't worry too much. If is a constant problem you may want to have it checked.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Axle wrap or wheel hop will do that.

Could be a bad accelerator pump. If you rollinto the throttle slowly it should do fine, but if you snap the throttle it will fall on it's face...

Rene

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

We (my dad and I) replaced the clutch dec 2002. So it (I would think) should still be okay. It can;t have too many miles on it either...
    How do I make it so it's not so lean in the carb?
    Thanks!

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So wheel hop is what is causing the the tranny to shudder? Is that normal?

Accerlerator pump... where is that?
    Thanks1

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I'm not the best at explaining but.

The front of your carb on the throttle linkage side (drivers side). It's a plunger inside your carb and the top of it sticks up through the carb. The top of it is hooked directly to your throttle linkage with a metal rod. When you actuate the throttle by hand just watch for the rod to push the plunger down into the carb body. You'll hear the fuel squirt as the plunger drops - squik.

Ack, hope I didn't confuse you. On the older Q-jets that plunger had 2 holes that you could put the end of the rod in to adjust the plunger stroke. A shorter or longer stroke depending on the hole you had the rod in.

If the problem is just the length of the rod stroke and not an actual rotten plunger you can just adjust the stroke by changing the rod position. If your plunger has been damaged with age you need to put in a new plunger tip. If that's the case you should just rebuild the carb.

I probably made it sound far more complicated than it is, it's pretty simple to check.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm guessing accelerator pump plunger is probably deteriorated due to sitting a lot without running. Gasoline will varnish up and get gummy if it sits for a long time...and that'll kill and accel pump quickly.

A Q-jet rebuild kit runs about $20 cdn and has a new accelerator pump in the kit. It also has the gaskets in case you mess yours up removing the top of the carb.

Just move your throttle linkage by hand and watch everything that moves and you'll find the accel pump on top. You'll need to disconnect that linkage and remove all the screws on top of the carb. You will probably have to undo the choke plate linkage too...then pry the top of the carb upwards gently. With any luck the gasket will stay on one or the other part and not tear.

With the top off, you can pluck the accelerator pump out and put the new one in. I have always coated the plunger with a bit of oil before installing...which doesn't hurt. It may not help anything either, but it certainly won't hurt anything. :)

Re-assemble.

Axle wrap sucks. The springs deforming and snapping back causes the wheels to hop up and down. It can also break drivelines if severe enough. This motion is more than enough to get the 465 shifter shaking and stuff.

Rene

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay thanks... is the carb problem something serious, or can it wait? I don't mean to complain...but even 20 bucks is hard for me to get sometimes.
    Where can I order the re-build kit?
    I hear nightmares about rebuilding them...is that disassembling the whole thing and cleaning it that is hard to do and is a nightmare...or is it what I have to do to change the pump?
    Thanks!!

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Steve.

It's only hard when you have never done it, it's the old fear factor. Once you've rebuilt a carb it's pretty easy.

If you like pm me your address in Canada and I'll let you borrow my Rochester carby book. It gives an illustrated step by step rebuild procedure, plus theory and all kinds of good stuff. You just have to make sure I get it back when your finished.

Let me know, I'll pop it in the mail.

Either that or you can get a copy if you want to have your own. HP Books, Rochester Carburetors by Doug Roe. Covers Quadrajet, Two Barrels, Monojet, 4GC, and Computer Controlled.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll check the price on one on amazon.com...but I will probably borrow the book from you, and buy my own later.
    Thanks! I will PM you in a few days!
    How hard are they to rebuild? I just don't want to get myself intto something I won't beable to get out of!
    Thanks!!

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

It's really not hard, you can do it. Lack of confidence (fear factor) is the biggest barrier but completely normal the first time you try anything.

Every new project I have ever worked on has been that way, especially when money is tight and you can't afford to make mistakes.

Just remember that every piece of knowledge you accumulate is yours forever, it can never be taken away. Believe in yourself, take a chance. No accomplishment has ever come without some risk.

Tell you what - I will give it to you. You keep it and learn from it then teach someone else when they need help. Just send your addy and it's yours.

If I ever need it again I'll get another copy, no worries. :waytogo:

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Most superlifts and probably other brands have shocks mounted horizontally,at an angle and vertical to stop or slow wheel hop. mine is diagonal and vertical... but it doesn't stop it just makes it less harsh. I've had it do that when i hit a rut on a hill and almost stopped. Just let off when you hear it and you should be fine.

13. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

before you go digging into the carb for problems make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, that can cause part throttle hesitation as well. :)

14. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

also, check the gasket under the carb, sometimes the gasket gets dried and flakes off from the exhaust crossover heat in the intake.

15. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i think you'll be ok w/ a carb rebuild,, i mean you are doing a frame up restor. on your other blazer right?

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How do I check if there is a vacuum leak?

Jimniycricket, I will PM you later!

Where would be a good place to buy one?
    Is there any special tools I need?
    Thanks!

17. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve, try replacing the fuel filter first, may be restricting fuel to carb, when its that cold outside your rig needs all the fuel it can get, LOL. Is the air filter clean and how are the spark plugs?

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

use carb cleaner

Carefully spray carb cleaner at the base of the carb,and any other suspected vacuum leak areas(dont spray the HEI or plug wires!:weld: ) if you have a leak you will hear the engine slow down or stall..it might well be just a bad base gasket or other vacuum leak,and nothing more--the EGR valve can cause a hesitation too,if its not shutting all the way,or is hooked up to the wrong port on the carb...

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Jeff,
    I will check the air cleaner and plugs...they were replaced last summer though.
    Another stupid question, where is the fuel filter? Sorry...

diesel4me, so when it is running I spray it around the carb? I will try that tomorrow and hope that it doesn't start fire!!

Thanks

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

weird...I found a what I think is a BRAND spanking new fuel filter in the shop today when looking for some pipe strapping. I also found a thermostat and a oil temp guage (mines messed) so maybe my dad new about the fuel filter, and maybe thats what the problem is?
    Where is it so I can change it to see if thats the problem?
    Thanks!