Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this normal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, May 23, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My friend has a 78 or so K5. The rear floor is weird. I have an 82 Jimmy, so I a m comparing it to mine and just about every other K5 I have seen.

In the rear where the passengers put their feet, his floor extends to only a few inches behind the front seats. It almost looks like the someone replaced the floor with a pickup floor or something.
    Was this an opiton or is it a a product of someone doing a custom fab job?

There are no rear seat brakcets, bracket holes or even a rear seat reccessed latch to flod the seat up. The front passenger seat even folds up weird. Instead of having the back latch recessed in the floor, it latch on the brakcets. When the seat is folder foward, there is still part of the bracket on the floor.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?????

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

2. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a fab job to me but I dont know much about the old K5s so I cant really tell you anything you dont alrady know.

Go prepared
    90 k5 soon to be big, bad, and mean

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

This sounds like a '78. The floor extends about a foot or so past the back of the front seats, then extends upward about six inches or so. I can't remember exactly what the rear bench seat brackets looked like since mine has been gone since 1993 or so. (it got in the way of my camping gear-who needs it anyway?). I do recall that it latched on the sides up near the top by the window with a small bracket. With mine, the passenger seat latch is recessed in the floor with the "hook" attached under the seat. I still don't think it folds up far enough (maybe I'm too damn big?)
    Can you post some pix?

Behemoth
    '78K5

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I will see if I can get some pics. I know his passenger seat latch is not recessed.

I didn't know if the Blazers were sold like the new TJ's, where you can buy one with no back seat.

Thanks

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

According to the specs. section on this board, the rear seat / rear floor was changed for the '78 model year. Either that is not quite right, or that Blazer has a tub from an earlier year. I believe the body mounts also changed to accommodate the rear floor changes. The first gen. Blazers ('69 - '72) could be bought without the rear seat (or the passenger front seat for that matter). Not sure what year it became standard equipment.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I have a 78 and an 85 and they are the same... same floors, same rear seat mounts, 78 pass seat folds and latches into the floor the same as the 85.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

My '73 and a '74 I used to have had the flat style bed. The '79 I used to have had the newer style that went down for peoples feet in the back. I don't know when the change was.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

My 89 came originally without a back seat. It is a scottsdale model that was used by a local power company. All the attachment points were there, but no seat. When they sold it, they got a seat and put it in. They even matched up the interior, just not the seatbelts.

I remember that they did change the floors somewhere in there, but like anything from GM, the dates are just a guestamation, you never know exactly when they did it.

Kyle
    89K5

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Emmetology,
    Your buddy's K5 is probably a 77' I think the change was made in 78'. I have a 75' and the rear is the flat bed style just like you described. Originally I thought the change was made in 79', but after Todds post, I think the change was in 78'. So, no, that was not a custom fab job on your buddy's K5.
    Boss

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have a few pics of the interior of my Blazer at my website. Mine has the new style floor that appeared for the first time in 1978 I think. The passenger seat bends over completely. The driver's seat is fixed (only forward/backward movement).

http://www.freeyellow.com:8080/members7/blazer79 Just click on gallery when you get there.

Was there a Blazer year that had the driver's seat not fixed so passengers could access the rear seat from the driver's door? I wish mine had that option.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

yes thats normal. my 76 has that floor. my 84 and 87 don't. 73-77, 78-80, 81-84, 85-91. all different body mount kits.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

12. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe someone replaced the original floor due to the usual rust problems...the repair panels from J.C.Whitney look like they are missing the recessed hook thing for the seat....just an idea...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

13. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

77 was the last year of the flat floor. Ive got a 75 with it. My 78 has the short floor.As far as a driver seat that folds forward my buddy took the seat brackets off an old seat and bolted it to his driver side(also the mounting bracket on the floor) It wasnt that big of a job and it turned out pretty good. Only prob is the steering wheel.

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

77 was the last year for that floor unless by some weird deal one of the factorys had a bunch of frames (yes the frame is different also) and bodies to use up. The rear seat just bolted to the floor on a frame. It did not flip over like the 79 and later did. I would be suspect of the year but it is not a fabed up deal, It was factory.
    The other possibility is that it was a very early 78 and some 77 tubs and frames snuck out the door badged as 78's but didn't have the floor change.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper