Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this normal????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jays Beast, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    <font color="red">
    Ok I know its not normal, but is this a common breakage on 350s? What would be my cheapest and best option for repairing/replacing this /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif?</font>
    Anyone use these headers? http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&amp;SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&amp;MfrCode=FLT&amp;MfrPartNumber=11500FLT&amp;PartType=1359&amp;PTSet=A Is flowtech any good?
    Thanks
    Jay

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

damn /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif cheapest would be junkyard best would be headers

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

junk yard is the easiest place.if you want new one or dont want to go headers the dealership should have them.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yikes!..what did it break right on there or something?

5. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

As a mechanic, i've seen the right hand manifold broke about a half a dozen times on the tbi trucks. I don't know why except probally broke because the manifold started to bow like a banana and they crack of excessive heat. Just my .02 cents. Also, they make aftermarket manifolds with webbing between the ports to have a less chance of the manifold breaking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dont launch your truck off such a big hill next time... then it wont be common,.... go headers...

7. Jays Beast

Not sure /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif when it broke noticed a exhaust noise about a week ago its been getting worse since then. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif maybe to much back pressure maybe I need to gut my cats /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i like headers but they are kind of a pain..at least the ones i have..they make changing the spark plugs kind of a pain...and they are really anoying to put new gaskets on with..but other than that they give great sound..and do add a tad more power..

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Flowtech headers are pretty good. They are very good for the price. I think they are cheaper at autozone though. My brother has a set on his truck, and they gave him a lot more power, and make a nice sound. They make a kind of different sound than other headers, but sound good. Also, they are made by Holley, I think. Whoever it is that makes them is a well known and respected company whose name you would immediately recognize. Can't beat Flowtechs for the price though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just make sure to spray them with a good rust-preventative high temp spray paint before installing them to make them last a long time.
    -Harrison

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

both sides on mine did it. headers were cheaper and quicker to get

my .02
    nathan

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I just bought flowtech headers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I haven't got them on the truck (the engine isn't back in yet) but I like the look. I just got the painted ones because they were half as expensive /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif .

12. Jays Beast

<font color="red"> 87BrnRsd or anyone else that has painted their headers</font>. When you painted them were the headers new? If so do you have to remove the protective paint that is on them before painting with high temp. paint? Or is it a primer that can be painted over? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. Jays Beast

Ok I know this kind of redneck but had a cylinder of jb putty figured try it. This is a temporary repair till get $$$ to replace with header and new exhaust system. Maybe daul exhaust since will have to be repiped anyway /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Not sure if will hold, will find out tomorrow when I put it back and drive it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the info so far,
    Jay /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    When you painted them were the headers new? If so do you have to remove the protective paint that is on them before painting with high temp. paint?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm running a set of Edelbrock headers on an S-Jimmy. The instructions that came with them said to REMOVE the factory "rust preventative" coating, and then paint them with a good high temp paint. I sandblasted them and painted them with VHT Flame Proof paint. That was around 10 years ago and they still look pretty decent. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't look at Flow Tech headers if someone paid me to. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif You get what you pay for with this brand of el cheapo headers. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I bought a set for a K10 once and both sides of the collector flanges hit the shackle bolts, BIG TIME! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif There was absolutely no way they were gonna work. I even tried taking a torch to do a little heating and bending to see if I could coax them away from the shackle bolts, but HELL NO! That little bit of heating and bending was enough to bend the tubes up higher, near the head flanges. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Pure junk if you ask me. I went and got some Hedman Hedders after that and never had problems again. And for the Hedmans, it was worth every $150 spent to make them fit correctly. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I will never buy another set of Flow Tech or any brand related to them, again. Not unless someone paid me to take them, then I would, but then I would sell them back out for the cash and spend it to get Hedmans again. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

16. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i dont think JBweld is a good idea...but try "muffler mender" works great if you do it right...

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You can do it cheap, or do it right. Personally, when I redo my exhaust system, I'm going with the Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

thatk30guy...
    I would agree that the flowtechs are cheaply made but they do the job. I think the problem you had with the shackle hitting the collector is common with many headers but has to do with the condition of the motor mounts and shackle bushings or bent shackles. I have the flowtechs and stripped them and spray painted them with 1500 degree paint and they stood up to no rust for about a year and then they started rusting near the collector. $79 dollars in stock at autozone is cheap. Mine have never leaked for about 2.5 years now but recently had a collector gasket go bad because i let the bolts get loose. It has the bolts and header gasket that came with them and i've never retorqued or replaced them. cheap paper is holding up.
    Blake

19. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Where can you get 1500 degree paint???

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think I quite said it right when my Flow Techs did not fit "correctly."

By that, I mean when I went to bolt the headers on at the heads, the collectors were already hitting the shackle bolts and therefore would not go on any further as they sat away from the heads a good inch or so.
    This is when I got longer bolts, tighten them the best I could, and then took a pry bar on the collectors to see how much bending would be needed, and then applied the heat to do such a task. Big old kinks in the tubes were the results. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Flow Tech headers.......NEVER AGAIN!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif