Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Sep 14, 2003.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

My 350 is making a strange sound (kinda like a knock, but not quite) I flushed the oil system yesterday, and the noise got a lot quieter, but it is still there. I am guessing that I probably have a lifter issue.

Here's my question:
    After the flush, I decided to pull the oil pan. I didn't find any pieces of metal in the pan, but, at the bottom of the pan was a silver-grey sludge, with gold-colored (I'm guessing from bearings) flakes. It looks and feels like the grey sludge is a very fine powder of metal. Now, I am certain that the the pan on this thing hasn't been pulled since the engine was rebuilt (I'm guessing that was about 50k miles ago), and there have been a few modifications to the engine since then. New heads, camshaft, etc. Is the sludge a normal occurrence? I can't say that I recall ever seeing this before, but, then again, I haven't pulled an oil pan off an engine for at least 10 years.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd say that's normal. There is always crap in an oil pan.