Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this ok to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, Apr 23, 2006.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

So, my old man's excentric. Fine. He's got a new duramax powered pick em up truck, a mechanic shop, and a lot of crazy ideas. He says he's putting 5 gallons of used ATF with a 32 gallon tankfull of diesel. In other words he's using 5 gallons of atf in place of 5 gallons of diesel which means he saves about 15 bucks a tank full. He says he filters the atf through a 10 micron filter bag first. Is this insane or normal?:crazy:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Is he just rationlizing it as oil ?

I used to pour atf down a gas engine while it was running to clean the heads , don't know if it worked or not , but the neighbors loved the cloud ( sarcasm ) ( I was a kid then ) .

So I know it will burn . Don't know how the system will like it .

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Not sure what the rationale is, he's crazy anyways. I am under the impression that he's doing that to save 15 bucks every time he fills up the truck since to him used ATF is free.:confused:

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When ever we'd change filters on our Diesel trucks and equipment we'd fill them with atf . Also if you ever get a clogged fuel filter on a diesel and don't have a spare spin filter off drain and fill with atf for what ever reason it works (for alittle while any way)Like I said i'm not sure why it's just something we've always done Maybe it's the detergent

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

USED ATF?!

the reason you change ATF, is to get a better lubricating trans fluid, and to get rid of debris (ie metal shavings) that are in it. no way you're gonna catch me feeding that **** to my fuel system.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup, sounds like a quick way to clog your filter and void any warranty on the motor I'd bet too...

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

We used to use new atf and not 5gallons just the fuel filters. Of course he did say that his dad filters it first

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

You'd think making $15 would be easier than filtering 5 gal. ATF (one pour) and pumping it (two pour). Hail, $15 is cheap insurance against blowin-up a DuraMax.:haha:

9. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

i know alot of the farmers around here will run some ATF in the tanks of their trucks. they say it helps out some how but im not sure. before i change the oil in my trucks i dump some ATF in the motor to clean things out. not sure if it REALLY helps but i heard from some of the older guys it does.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Like others have said..i dont think its a good idea. Ive used the atf down the throttle body or carb trick before and it does work to clean out carbon deposits. My brother worked at a mercedes place and whenever they would change the fuel filters on the diesels...they would fill the filter up with atf. It runs, and doesnt even smoke that much. But I wouldnt do it on a new duramax repeatedly.:screwy:
    -Harrison

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

USED atf??

I'd make darn sure its filtered to the max if the ATF was used!..not sure how many microns in size it takes to clog an injector,but I bet its not much..

I've read about adding 1 qt. of Dextron ATF to diesel fuel to increase the viscosity of the diesel fuel..they claim it helps on older injection pumps that are worn some..I did add a bit to my 6.2 when I first got it,at the reccomendation of a diesel mechanic with an excellent reputation..never saw any harm,but no real benifit either..(he said it would clean the injectors a bit,and clean the combustion chamber)...

Now,if I could only run my 6.2 on drain oil!..my friend always has at least a 55 gallon drum FULL every time I visit his shop!..I'd never have to BUY fuel again!...I wonder if it can be done??...:thinking: ..probably would run,but smoke like a tire fire!..:doah: :crazy:

12. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

Atf is ertremly high in detergents, no one here has ever heard of the old 1 quart of atf in an oil change to fix a lifter tick...?

13. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Quick Fix

Me, Me----- X2 Later J

Dam Kids, ha ha

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I've considered it... I'll try anything on my 6.2L, then I'd try it on my PSD. ;) Then I figured all the filtering costs will detract from the savings. I have an easy/free disposal arrangement too, so I haven't bothered trying yet.

15. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Well, I guess it might be a multi thousand dollar exercise in sillyness / mental masterbation / complete waste of time. Better him than me I reckon. I'll continue to put my 42 bucks a week in my corvette daily driver and not worry about the price of fuel and not attempt to use waste oil as fuel to save a couple bucks.

16. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

LOL, good one.

I wonder if that AFT in motor oil to fix a lifter trick works? wonder HOW it works?

17. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I am currently a charter member of the "Let's try it and see what happens" club so I say sure, let him.

18. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

teehee me too:D ;)

19. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's a common trick.. Same as throwing a qrt of Marvel Mystery Oil, Kerosene, etc in.. It cleans varnish off and will loosen sludge... It can potential cause problems tho, do at own risk...

20. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Also turns fuel to pink color just like un taxed off-road deisel so don't get caught . I was told by a DOT man it was used a long time ago as lube for injecters and pump . They will impound and test , cost big $s.