Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this opportunity knocking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Oct 12, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i need a new rear end for my truck - currently it doesn't have one. The motor will be going to the machine shop this week and will be there for a couple of months and i figure i should work on getting the driveline together so that when i get a working motor back in the truck i can drive it. i think it would bug the crap out of me to have a brand new motor in a truck i couldn't drive.

anyway, here's my point. i ran into a guy today who offered me a newly rebuilt (only 1000 miles on it) 10bolt rearend with 3.08 gears and an auburn locker for $200. i was going to just go to the salvage yard, pop the $130 (cheapest price in NW Oregon kinda sux.) and just throw a used 10bolt under it so i can drive it. i'm not an experienced offroader yet - so a 14bolt and gear ratio change isn't quite necessary yet - someday, just not yet. I'm trying to avoid having to put money into the front end yet - that's why i don't want lower gears yet. anyway, what do you think between my two options. should i pop for the extra $70?

Thanks!
    Colby Stephens
    www.web.pdx.edu/~colbys

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

the answer depends on tire size the weight of your right foot really
    how big are you tires?
    what do you offroad in?
    how much do you love the skinny pedal?

3. colbystephens

well, i'm just going to run 35's, i'm doing the standard 4" lift, and it's a 6.2L diesel motor - so speed's not really an issue. i generally drive moderate in terms of how hard i lay on the fuel pedal - i try to be good to the motor but have a good time here and there. :)

also, since it is a diesel i'm going to switch it over to biodiesel after i get it running - you can't be 70 cents per gallon at 20 mpg! as a result, it will be a daily driver as well as my offroader. it's hard to beat that cost - i suppose you could beat that with a hybrid car, but who wants that? anyway, how hard is it going to wear my back tires with a fully locked rear diff on the streets?

colbystephens
    www.web.pdx.edu/~colbys

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Given those 2 choices only, I would spend the extra money for the $200 unit.

5. colbystephens

any other thoughts out there?

6. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

It depends on who rebuilt it. If it's only got a 1000 miles it could have issues and he's just saying it's basically rebuilt. I'd almost go with a used one that has 50K miles on it. It's gonna last you as long as you need it to. The rebuilt one may only last a few thousand miles if it wasn't done right. Anyways, I smell what you're stepping in. I himmmed and haaahed until my 10 bolt exploded, then bought a 3/4 ton front and rear and I'm still not all that confident in them. Dude claimed he was a mechanic, the gears were 4:56 with a detroit in the rear, and I still kindof wonder if they are going to grenade on me. Sometimes I just wish I would have found a used 10 bolt and ran that. Would have saved me a lot of trouble.

7. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I would just get a 14 bolt. That way you dont spend money twice on the rear axle. In my opinion it's not worth it to do so. I would look for a 14 bolt semi floater or full floater. Then build it like you want it, gears, locker, ect. I understand about not wanting to touch the front but If you run 35's on 3.08s I would bet my bottom dollar that its gonna be a dog and will kill your gas mileage. You might want to check around a bit. 35's are gonna drastically change your effective gear ratio. Compairing 35's to say a 31 inch tires its gonna give you an effective gear ratio of 2.73.
    Anyways with all this rambling, I would suggest doing a 14 bolt semi or full floater. Then do gears and lockers as you please. (I would stay away from a limited slip of any kind but thats another story)

Dustin

8. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Read hunterguy86's post. read it over and over. He's dead on.

9. colbystephens

thanks for the info guys - something to think about for sure. i know who built the axle - it was built by a company which is well respected for their work. the guy i'd be buying it from just wants it off his yard - hence the price. anyway, you've given me a lot to think about. keep posting info if you think of anything else - the offer's out there for me and i don't realy have any competition or timeframe. i just want to decide in about the next 3-4 weeks.

colbystephens.