Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this possible? 14 bolt ¿?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by primerk5, Dec 30, 2005.

1. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

Ok I have a 95 chevy 3500. The rear is a 14 bolt you can take the drums off with out pulling the whole hub.

Now on my both of my blazers, I have 14 bolt rears. You have to pull the hub to get the drum off to work on the brakes. Is it possible to purchase the drums for my 95 and studs for my 95, put the studs in the hubs, and then slide the drums on. (and everything will work like the 95)

Dose that make sence? I'll probably just upgrade to disc brakes but I was just wondering.

Also who has had the best luck with what disc brake conversion. Possible suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (like what rotor did you use? what calaper did you use? whats the better calaper bracket and why? Did you have to change the proportioning(sp) valve?)
    AND WAS IT WORTH THE TROUBLE.!?!?!

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

why? the hubbed axle is a full floater, the non hubber one is a semi floater. the wholer purpose is so that if you beak an axle ir wont slide out and leave you missing a wheel ;)

3. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

no no my 95 is a full floater too. (Its no wimpy 9 and a 1/2 ring rear 14 bolt..!) its just that you can remove the drums like a non full floater.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If your saying put the drums on the outside of the hubs on you older 14 bolt axles, then nope that won't work. Your drums will be too far out from the brake shoes.

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Yah, AFAIK the backing plate mounting area is the same though so the difference must be in the backing plates so a complete brake swap should be doable. I have never seen it done but it sounds doable in theory.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

It would probably be easier and cheaper to swap to disk brakes in the 14ff......

7. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

Ya I figured it would be cheaper for the disc brake conversion but, I was just thinking about a way to make it easyer to work on the break system in drums.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the backing plate is same. the hub unit is the diffrence. and also you cant just swap the hubs over. as the spindle mesurments are diffrent also. thay made them shorter in overall length. i just swaped out my pop off style brakes to disk. look in the 88-up section there is a few threads in there.

9. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

ok shoots that theroy down. I guess its to the disc brake conversion now.!! thanks.

10. fordtruggy

fordtruggy Registered Member

My friend didnt change the proportioning valve on his k5 to do the disks breaks on hid 14BFF.It works good.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

umm thanks for that info?