Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this Possible? Or is someone trying to screw me? **LAST UPDATE**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Boss, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I sold my 700R4 tranny to someone on ebay. It came from my 89' K5 with about 120K miles on it. It was the stock one. Never rebuilt or nothing.

Before I pulled it, It drove perfect. Shifted smooth, no problems. I only put it in OD when I'm cruising over 65. Everytime I changed the fluid, I never saw any metal shavings or anything like that in the pan, just your usual clutch shavings.

I only pulled it to put in another beefed up R4 that had the short output shaft that mated up to a 203.
    Instead of swapping output shafts (which required completely tearing down the tranny), I just bought a new tranny with the output shaft already put in.

The guy who bought it tells me that the tranny is no good. He says in his last email:
    "I had my transmission guy break the cases. He said the clutches were
    so
    roached they are indented. You can call Lovelands Transmission to
    confirm:
    say Mr. Hammond's transmission. Third and overdrive is gone. You can
    make it
    right by sending me $150, which is cheap."

It sold for the low $300s if I remember right.
    Anyhow, from reading all his emails he sent me in the past 3 weeks, he sounds like your basic rookie, that didn't even know the R4 is suppose to have a TV cable hooked up.
    He always avoided answering the questions I'm asking him too, like, what are you putting it into?, etc.
    I sold just the tranny. His first complaint was, "I had to buy the spacer on the transmission going to the transfer case, which cost me $90. This is part of the transmission; no one would part with this piece without buying the whole
    transmission. The transmission is unusable without it."

I sold the Tcase and adaptor seperate to someone else. In my description, I said, this is only for the tranny and torque converter, no adaptor or tcase. Apparently, he didn't know the adaptor was the "spacer" he was looking for...I explained the deal and all was good...But basic stuff like that is why he seemed like your average rookie. (btw, I don't think every tranny is sold with an adaptor (if it isn't coming with the tcase).

But anyhow, My question is:

Is it possible for me to have driven on the tranny and never noticed a single problem with it and never seen any metal shavings or heard any loud bangs, problems, whatever... Even driven it till the day I pulled it. Is it possible for it to have "roached clutches to the point where they're "indented" and no 3rd and OD gears without me ever feeling/seeing those effects? Is that possible???

I never tried to screw anyone on any sales. I always try to be as honest as possible. This is my first problem ever, but I don't want to take fault, if I really have no fault. I didn't advertise this as rebuilt or anything. I advertised as used with ~120K miles, but still running good prior to getting pulled. Largest tire size it has ever seen was 36" TSL Radial (w/4.56 gears), but for only a few months, then it was on some really worn out 35" BFGs.
    Any opinions appreciated...
    Boss

2. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Re: Is this Possible? (700R4 related)

Id say it was pk when you had
    if not you would have smelled the burened fluid,
    im no expert but ive gone thru 6 700r4 this year
    and know what they smell like when there bad,
    just my opion

3. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

well, judging by how straight you were with the goods i got from you a while back, and the fact that my 700 tranny has 146000 miles on it and still going strong. id say hes trying to milk you for some dough. just tell him it was used and bought with no guarantee, you dont know what he did to it since he had it so i wouldnt feel obligated to "make right" something outside of your control.

Craig

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I didn't advertise this as rebuilt or anything. I advertised as used with ~120K miles, but still running good prior to getting pulled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say that sums it up... There was no warranty, to your knowledge the tranny was fine. You never know what he tried to do to it. He might even have a friend that works at the shop and they are just trying to get some cash from ya. Who knows but I would dismiss it "as is".

5. Boss

Forgot to mention the fluid was not burnt or anything when I pulled it.
    Thanks for the props Kumma. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I try to be as straight as possible...
    Boss

6. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Its like this unless you own Boss Chevrolet then the [censored] is "as is" It if its new you get a warrenty. I think there trying to screw you. The fluid would definately look burnt if its like the guy said. Don't let them screw you over.

7. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I didn't know we had a censored button. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, sounds like you should ask if he is going to supply some lube or if he expects you to give him that too...

9. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Choung, "As Is" means the guy is buying with no warranty. You have always been straight with me on ever deal and if there is going to be any flamming done you will get my backing. I would say no deal, you bought it "As Is".

10. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

Re: Is this Possible? Or is someone trying to screw me? (700R4 related)

Maybe the transmission shop is planning on screwing him over, and are trying to look honest by telling him to go after you? They can smell ignorance.

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I would agree with everyone on here. I think you are in the clear. You were honest about how you presented it. That is sometimes the risk you take when buying used parts.

You also say this guy sounds like a rookie. It may not be him saying all these things, but rather the tranny shop, too. If it is a questionable shop and they recognize he is green, they could be trying to take him for a ride.

And picking up a 700R4 for $300 is already cheap. That alone makes it right!

12. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You don't owe him anything. He bought a used trany for a core price. He may have installed it with an improperly adjusted TV cable and burned it up - most likely scenerio.

13. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I agree with Azblazor, you can't get a decent 700 r core for $300. I wouldn't give this guy the time of day.

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Boss,

We've known eachother for a long time and I KNOW you wouldn't rip someone off. It sounds like you sold the 700 to a guy who knows jack about trannies. I mean, not knowing what a TV cable is? C'mon...... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Secondly, as Mudfrog says, "as is" is exactly that. You didn't offer a warranty, and you didn't infer one either. You advertised a used tranny, and that's what the guy got.

How many miles did he put on the thing before it blew. An improperly adjusted TV cable can destroy a 700 in short order. Did he tow with it? Did he install a cooler? Did he install it on a truck with 35s and 3.08s?

Personally, I'd tell the guy to get lost. But since you're a little nicer than me /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, I would demand some answers regarding what his rig was used for before I even CONSIDERED sending him a friggin' dime.

15. Boss

Thank you all that have replied. Thanks for the vote of confidence. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know this is all one sided and not hearing his end and just hearing mine. But basically, I just want to know, if it's possible to not notice worn clutches (to the point of "indentions" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif) and "no 3rd gear or OD, without any signs of those wear while driving. I'm definately assuming NO, with basic common knowledge, but just wanted to get 2nd opinions, is why I posted.

Some of yall brought up the fact that this tranny shop might be pulling one on him...I never thought that...thanks for opening up my eyes. I'll let him know that is a possibility. Thanks again everyone. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Boss

16. Boss

Canmore,

I've asked exactly all those questions. He always avoided answering them...
    On my last email, I practically Begged him to answer this one question, and he replied with what you read above (and not answering the question I asked). I even told him twice, that he continues to ignore my questions and that makes it hard for me to help him...I sold this to him about 3 to 4 weeks ago...

But you're right, I should just blow this full off. If he leaves me a bad feedback, then so be it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Thanks for the props Canmore. You're defianately a straight shooter! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Boss

17. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Did he already give you feedback? was it good? I agree and say if you told him it had been in your truck he should know used is used.He's trying to get an awsome deal when he needs to understand he got what he got for 300. I got all the receipts for my truck when I bought it and the bench build on my 700r4 alone was over 1000. Understand now I'm not saying it's in bad cond., but if he doesn't have the mechanical knowhow to deal with a used auto tranny, he needs to go new, or pro rebuilt. I'm just wondering who's installing it? I know a little about chevy trans. and I still have my mechanic friend help me whenever setting one in a truck. If you don't know what you're doing you can make a well built 700r4 last only a few months just with a bad installation. If he bad feedback's you, just put in a response explaining your side. Whenever I'm buying auto parts on ebay and see someone has a couple of bad feedbacks I usually investigate to see what the situation was. It's not like he can get anything by suing you, it was a used part advertised as used.

18. Boss

No, no feed back was left yet.
    I'm not sure who installed it. I think it was him alone. But like I said, he never gave me any details. Don't even know what rig he put it under. But after I mentioned the TV cable a few times and he was like /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, I suggested he take it to a tranny shop for them to adjust it properly...that's when he started mentioning "my tranny guy".

Anyhow, to throw an update.
    I emailed him and told him that I will not refund the money. Told him basically, that they could've done whatever to that tranny after it left my hands. I kept re-iterating that I even drove this truck the day I pulled it. Even Fr8train (CK5 member) was around then and witnessed all that... I ended the email leaving my phone # for him to call if he wants to discuss further.

Anyhow, he replied back and gave me his tranny shops phone # (b/c he forgot to give it to me earlier. He didn't mention anything else.

So, I emailed back and said that I'm not going to call that shop b/c it will serve me no purpose. It's just like me telling him to call my friends b/c they witnessed how good condition it was when I pulled it...it will serve him no purpose....also wrote tons more info and blah blahs, but was firm in saying, no refund. I also suggested that maybe the tranny shop sniffed the "greenhorn" in him and is trying to pull one??. My anger fueled that line /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks for listening... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Boss

19. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

"I also suggested that maybe the tranny shop sniffed the "greenhorn" in him and is trying to pull one??. My anger fueled that line"

Lol keep updating, im following this thread.

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Why did he take it to a trans shop to begin with? Did they do the install? It sounds to me like they are tring to screw you. He said it would take $150 to cure the problem. If that is the case no trans shop is going to overhall a 700r4 that cheap!!!!!!! If 3rd and OD are gone you would have known when you pulled it.