Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Dec 12, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey well my truck is acting really wierd, i turn the key to start it,, doesnt click the starter over right away, have to always turn my key twice, then it starts up. While driving, mostly off the light, or around turns it will just cut off and die but still have all electrial. Lately its been just cutting off and dieing randomly when i put it in drive, or hit the gas while driving down the road. Every time it dies like this, it wont start over until i beat my starter with a hammer for a second. Then starts right back up. The wires to the starter are slightly touching my headers, and one is slightly melted, i tried to fix it, but havent gotten a chance to really dig into it.

My real question is the constant power wire that goes to the starter, could this be the cause say if its hitting my headers, grounding out which then kills the engine? Justs sucks to not know if ur truck will die in the middle of a busy street off of a light, or merging onto a highway.. details of engine in signature.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes..

If your positive battery cable melts to the headers,it will not only kill all power to the truck,but can fry every wire under the hood!..:doah: --hope you have a fire extinguisher!..:eek1:

I'd fix any bad wires pronto--and replace the fusible links in the 2 thick red wires going to the starter solenoid too,they are likely half toasted if the cable has grounded out!.you probably need a new starter too,if you still have to use a hammer on it after fixing the wires--its probably got brushes that are worn down to nothing,and if its a newer starter with permanent magnets,a hammer blow shatters the magnets, and ruins it..:doah: :crazy:

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

x2 on the wires. Ive had this happen to me before too. Luckily it didnt fry everything, actually got hot enough to burn the big starer wire in half as well as melt the terminal for the negative cable

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah the same thing happened to a good friend of mine, different method but same effect....he put the terminals on the battery backwards, instant snap crackle pop, sizzle, smoke, death(for his truck), it was a tbi truck so it fried everything in sight, melted a good deal of the wires, most of the fuses, and the terminal welded itself to the battery, that sucked. oh yeah popped all his relays too. moral of story, git yo trizuck fized up suun yo.

Regards,
    Remington

5. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

alright, thanks guys, maybe if im feeling a lil better later ill try to go wrestle it. headers make everything so damn hard to get to!