Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this Price ok?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Green71, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Green71

Green71 Registered Member

I found a 14bff at a local yard and the guy wants $150 for it. Im not sure if this is a good price or not. I need a new axle because i have a hole in my axletube. i figure if im gonna get another axle i might as well upgrde, right? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll end up having to move the perches, and im gonna be getting new seals and bearings and drums and such, so i am wondering what you guys think. Thanks in advance for all your input. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Thats a decent price for a 14b. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif What gears does it have?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wish I could find one at a yard that cheap. they want 300 at my local yards.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, good and fair price. Thats about the average price. Anything higher and others start saying you are getting raped. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

You mentioned getting NEW drums....those are gonna be $$$$...you may want to consider to a disk brake conversion and just ditch the drums all together. Az-Kickin can set you up as well as a few other companies. Fairly easy to do and can be done with common parts from the auto parts store once you've got the brackets.

6. Green71

Green71 Registered Member

Hey thanks guys i really appreciate your input. I feel alittle better now. I think i remember it having 3.73 gears. yeah ive seriously considered the disc brake conversion, it would make things alot simpler i think. The full floating rear axle has the external hub and the sf doesnt, am i right? Thats how you tell em apart, right? Sorry, its prolly stupid but im just used to working with the 10 and 12 bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

150 is too high offer him 145 nothing more, or you will be getting raped. with no lube mind you...

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey thanks guys i really appreciate your input. I feel alittle better now. I think i remember it having 3.73 gears. yeah ive seriously considered the disc brake conversion, it would make things alot simpler i think. The full floating rear axle has the external hub and the sf doesnt, am i right? Thats how you tell em apart, right? Sorry, its prolly stupid but im just used to working with the 10 and 12 bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

14SF will look similar to the 10 and 12 bolts (nothing sticks out beyond the drum)
    14BFF has a very obvious HUB that will protrude through the wheel center once wheels are bolted up.....

That's it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    150 is too high offer him 145 nothing more, or you will be getting raped. with no lube mind you...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, $145 is too damn high. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Offer him $144.99 and don't pay a penny more or you will be feeling the aftershock of a friction job done without Vaseline. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Seriously, anything over $150 is considered the norm of too high for these rears.
    Whats $5 from $145? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif