Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this reasonable? Re:350 rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sample, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Well, when I get around to having the 350 in my '83 K5 rebuilt I wanted to increase performance. Is this a reasonable request and how would I get there? I don't want to switch to FI and I want it naturally aspirated and dependable.

I am looking for 275-300 HP and 350+ lbs of torque. Is that even reasonable thinking for my year of engine and keeping it dependable?

Thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get a 383 stroker crank kit (Crank kit with connecting rods and pistons) with 9.0 to 1 or 9.5 to 1 compression. That'll increase you're HP and more importently TORQUE !!!!!!!! I'd also get a Comp Cams Xtream 4X4 series camshaft. Get one that puts the torque down low !!!!!!!! It doesn't do you any good to have mega torque up high in the rpm's if you're gonna be crawling.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Here's what I have:

350 bored .030, KB hyp. flat-top pistons, Comp Cams 4x4Xtreme 262 cam (second from biggest), stock heads (plan to go to vortecs), Edelbrock performer intake and 600 cfm carb

It's putting out about 350 hp and 400 lbs of torque. It has a real good mid-range and decent low-end. So far I am happy with this setup except the carb, I wanna go TPI. For what you want, you could probably go with a smaller cam and pistons with less compression; I have to run atleast 92 octane.

I have about $1k into it right now. You should be able to do it cheaper, depending on your block condition and parts you use. Mine had to be bored and I had them hone it with a deck plate for better reliability at higher horsepower. I also ordered the parts through the machine shop; I could have gotten them from summit or jeg's cheaper.

Also try doing a search to see what others have suggested in the past. This subject has been covered several times before.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yes, that's reasonable. Your torque figure is a little high for a budget rebuild.
    I'd say 280 HP, 300 torque is reasonable.

POWERHOUSE sells rebuild kits (I bought one) for very reasonable. It had everything, minus any machine work obviously. I *ahem* used a cylinder hone since I had VERY little wear in my engine and actually had zero machine work done. If you can feel even the slightest ridge at the top of the cylinder, you really do need to have it bored. My engine runs great!
    -- Mike