Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this safe?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jun 13, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have been getting alot of grief from some of my buddies about the piece of steel tubing i have welded across my framerails up front, and the spring hangers are bolted on using 3/8x1"grade 8 bolts, there are 6 of them per hanger and the tubing is 3x6x1/4" the welds are penetrated into the frame pretty good. but my question is, is it safe? i took it apart a year and a half ago and put my 8inch springs onto my blazer, but i am tearing it apart right now to put my red truck back together.

truck%231.jpg

2. bigbadchev84

here is another pic that i took the other day

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Let's see a detail shot from the side. So far I'm not seeing anything that causes me alarm, but w/o a detail shot it's hard to say.

Hermiston huh? I've got Grandparents in Powell Butte.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Just curious... why is the piece of tubing there? Converted 2wd?

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Are you sure you have the right bushings? It seems like you got the ones with the narrow shoulder instead of the thick shoulder, looks like there's a lot of space there. I don't think they'd last too long. Might be time to fork out a little dough for the DMV too... :crazy:

6. DIRKSTER

DIRKSTER 1/2 ton status

i have been running a simler set up on my 83 1 ton using a piece of 3" x 1 1/2 x 1/4 wall and have had no problems it. altough it is not welded to the frame i removed the stock hangers from the cab mounts and grafted the new hanger braket tto them also adding a mounting plate atached to the piece of tube linning up with the holes on the core saports thus making it removable to be installed on somthing differnt in case this one gets trashed :D

7. bigbadchev84

i blew the motor in it about a year and a half ago and my blazer just needed a tranny so i robbed the tranny out of my truck to stick into my blazer. i have a 396 that i have been wanting to put back together for my shortbox anyways. so i stole the lift off of my red truck and installed it on my blazer, the reason it is there in the first place is because i needed a couple more inches of lift to make it sit level up front, it has always been a 4x4. and dont worry about the bushings, they are the wrong ones, they arent even in tight, the truck is sitting there now with now motor or tranny

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you look over on POR in the Toyota section. Alot of guys do this to swap an IFS truck to a straight axle truck....

However I would think larger bolts would be better than using 3/8"....

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would just get rid of the factory mounts bolted to the tube and weld some "tabs" on there to bolt the spring to.