Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this steering wheel from GM Car parts.com the right one for my '88 K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AuH2O, Oct 27, 2006.

1. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Some previous owner of the '88 K5 Silverado I recently got put a 13.5" 3-spoke Chevy "NOVA" steering wheel on it, in place of the "Custom 16" Steering Wheel" my Service Parts Identification sticker says was mounted from the factory. Not having had much luck turning up a used one, I just found this on the GM Car Parts site:

GM Car Parts.com

Collision Catalog - 1988 - Chevrolet/Geo - Blazer Steering wheel, Steering wheel and trim, Steering wheel, Custom, Custom

They have both a custom and a standard wheel for the '88 Blazer. The custom is not exactly cheap ($162, though only $12 more than the standard), but I'll get it anyway if someone could just confirm it is indeed the one I'm supposed to have. I'll keep this truck 'til the end of time, so why not indicate year 0 with a new OEM steering wheel... :D

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There's lots of used steering wheels on eBay. Even some NOS ones. Wheels from late 60's to early 90's (without airbags) will physically fit.

The factory had lots of little differences over the years, there's 3 major styles, the '73-80, the '80-87, the '88-91. And within those, you have other options, like inlays, sport leather, fancy designs and such.

It's very hard to tell if that one is the "right" one, especially without a picture.. Will it fit, yes.
    If you want a true orginal steering wheel, the right one, you'll need to get the part number (dealer should be able to tell you this), and search around for that part. GM Might even still have it. Type the number into partsvoice.com, mabey somebodys got it on their shelf. Search eBay, craigslist..etc for the part number.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Those later steering wheels are a dime a dozen. Astro's, S10's, 1988+ C/K, and so on. There are millions sitting on busted columns in wrecking yards all about the country.

They aren't worth more than $25 used in great shape.

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

There are several on eBay now and they are from $9.99 to $45.00
    Just type in "blazer steering wheel" and search These are the two kinds I had the first style and changed to the second (Silverado type).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

I don't know if my eBay skills are a bit off, but in the two weeks I've been looking, this one with a cracked horn button is the only one of the kind I'm looking for I've seen there. It says 73-87, and 73k5blazer mentions the style as being retired in 87 too, but it's still pictured in the '88 sales brochure. I therefore assumed that's what I had originally, but are you saying this one is the one I would've had? In that case, good thing I didn't place an order with GMCarParts.com, 'cause that thing is butt-ugly, and I don't want it anywhere near my truck. Is that the '88-91 standard? On the other hand, GM Car Parts says their wheel is for 81-91 Blazers. The one in the first picture in the post above is pretty much what I'm looking for, so I guess I'll get one off of eBay when a good one comes along... Or if the parts website can provide a picture, well...

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

They will all fit and work. 88 was a bit of a swing year, I really don't know which one was right. Check brochures.slosh.com there might be some pictures in there.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think you are about the only one on the planet that likes the older style giant diameter/thin grip wheels. :) But hey, if that's what you like, it's what you like and not my call. Just playing.

Anyways, wish I was home, I'd sell you mine for $5 and shipping, because thats about what I figure it would cost me to box it up and get it to the post office. Didn't throw it or the parts away on the chance that once in the next 5 years (had it at least that long) one person would need it. Figures I'm nowhere near it when you need it. :)

The plastic center piece is *replaceable* but as you mention, pretty hard to find used in excellent shape. I think I've got one of those in good shape too. Might be able to buy just that piece new from GM, you never know. Might not even come with a new wheel! gmpartsdirect.com is the best place online I've found to check prices FWIW.

I got rid of that style wheel because everytime I needed to hit the horn in a hurry, the plastic piece broke. :( Besides, the newer wheel is more comfortable and I like the way it looks better.

8. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have the first one and if you pay postage I will send it to you for free! Let me know and I will try to find a box and get the cost to ship where are you in AZ. I am in 43605 zip zode

9. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Haha, well, I guess my philosophy is kinda like "older is better". ;) Yeah, I do like the thin grip "giant" diameter wheels better than the small fat ones - at least on trucks. Maybe I'd think differently if we were talking about a Corvette or something...

Much obliged, although I see I got a good offer below too! :D

Yeah, I know as much. That ebay one wasn't only cracked, it said GMC too. Can't have that! I'll check out GMpartsdirect.com, I'm bookmarking as many parts sites I can as of now. :p:

Hey, if that's what you like, it's what you like and not my call. ;)

Thanks, that's really nice of you! I'll PM you!