Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this stuff cruise control or....?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Aug 2, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm removing my dash and getting rid of all the extra wiring/hoses that I don't need. Im getting rid of my AC/heat, radio stuff, an alarm system, power accessories, tow controller, cruise control etc etc. Its a dedicated trail rig now and I don't need that useless crap. Anyway, I have a bunch of wires and a hose and I'm not 100% sure what they are for. The hose goes to the diaphram-looking thing that is connected to the throttle linkage... the attached bunch of wires attaches to a plastic thingy behind said diaphram...

[​IMG]

The hose and wires run across the firewall and into the cab near the steering column...

[​IMG]

bonus question... wth is that round bulbous looking thing in the far right of that pic? I have a vacuum line that ran from my old heat/AC system to it... no idea what it does or if I still need it...

anyway, moving on... the hose connects to some goofy looking white plastic thing-a-majig and the wires to this black box under the dash right next to the steering column.

[​IMG]

Can anyone confirm that this junk is in fact for cruise control? If not, what the fork is it? lol! if it is, is there any other CC related stuff I can yank? I remember seeing a "how to remove your entire CC system" page on the web, but can't find it anymore...

much thanks in advance...

j

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yep, that is the CC stuff. Also you can take out that bulb. It's the vacuum thingy for the heat/AC controls. You wont have it anymore. Just make sure to trace it all the way back to the source and plug it off or your eng. will run like crapola.

3. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

What is it?

Yes, that's your cruise control stuff. I know, because mine is in the back of my other pickup that's not running yet. The round bulbous thing is a vaccuum reserve canister. It may be part of the Cruise control, or for the blend doors in the heater/AC.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you can remove each sub harness without messing it up , I may wannna get it to restore my cruise stuff . Half of mine is still on my old heads under my buddies workbench :D

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I think the diapram thing is the vaccum thing for the lock up in your stock 700r4.

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Nope, 700r4 doesn't use vacuum for lockup, it has an electric TCC switch run by ecm and switch on brake pedal. That's the cruise, mine looks the exact same.

7. 85mudblazin

I stand corrected :D

8. 89GMCSuburban

:Hijack: Enjoying the heat down there? :D
    Thought it would be different (Much cooler) when I moved up here, still hot, but not as humid...

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Not entirely true , earlier 700r4's , in vehicles without computers , like mine , have a vacuum switch . Dealer item as well , had to buy one .

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

10. 89GMCSuburban

now I stand corrected :D

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thanks for the help guys. Its amazing how much wiring is in a rig after a few crappy stereo/alarm installs. Good grief! I've tore out a couple of hundred feet of wires already and there is still more to do! :eek1: Hopefully I don't trash anything I really need. lol! I have the chilton wiring diagrams, hopefully that will save me from that fate. ;)

j

12. 85mudblazin

I knew I totally wasnt loosing my mind :D