Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this taboo? Dragging Pirate4x4 D60 thread over here.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Aug 2, 2005.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't think the guy has a clue what hes getting into. The tolerances he would have to make the stuff too. It would take hours just to lay a single weld or cut a single piece right. Fabbing a 9" housing isn't very difficult, cause you don't have to fab the carrier mounting point. You would have to with a Dana 60. THink its a stupid idea IMO(for someone looking for the cheap way out anyway).

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah the guy sounds like a real idiot. id give him some credit if he knew more about axles, but he's never even set up his own gears.

i think this sort of thing would take years to accomplish. and definately not cheap, i bet he'd have to make several housings and scrap em along the way.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

There's cheap and then there's delusional.

5. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Ya know I've always heard the pirate guys were the jerks. At least they made technical points instead of just writing it off and calling me names. :mad: BillaVista and Camo thought it might be plausible, if only for the heck of it (notice that the thread direction changed from cheap for the street to for the heck of it for offroad). If I could come up with something, maybe someone else could start producing it. Kinda like Camo pushing the envelope with his axles. Whatever, I guess I won't come looking for groundbreaking tech ideas/input here anymore. Just because I haven't set up my own gears doesn't mean I don't know squat. I grew up in a shop where we repair metal everything from planes, to tractors, to geothermal machinery. Even worked on stuff for Apollo 13 way back in the day. Eh, Blah why am I still talking?

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not calling any names, you ask for an opinion and mine is that had fabricating something that would be very difficult to fabricate correctly, and is readily available for far less (time has a cost also) than it would cost to fabricate makes no sense to me.

7. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Like i said, the point has changed from cheap. It will be R&D which isn't cheap...but maybe someday it will result in cheaper basic beef for everyone. The thread is still active over there. Keep your eyes open. I just might have to do it for the sake of showing it can be done. Maybe someone with manufacturing facilities can pick it up from there.

8. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Well your right there isn't much hard core tech over here like on pirate....

But these guys...like the guys on pirate have said...your origional idea is just not fesable. You can go ahead and try to weld together a housing but you better know alot more about engineering and fabrication than you know now inorder to get it done. Even then you will have to machine all of your high tolerance areas again after it is welded and heat treated. Thats why all the guys who currently make aftermarket center sections use a cast piece and go from there. It saves alot of time and $$$ (a fabricated housing will NEVER be marketable). If you truly have the facilities avalable to you I would start with a big hunk of steel and start wittling away at it. Even then I would want a ME and machinest looking over my sholder and a factory housing sitting there for me to look at.

good luck

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I only looked at the first page and Scott E (Rockstomper) called it. Personally I don't think camo always knows of which he speaks. His blanket statement can't be supported. Someone out there can prove him wrong.

10. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Read the whole thread, and make sure you understand the point and all of what has been said before you throw down judgement.

What statement of Camo's are you referring to?

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

It just seems like it would be to much work for any possible gain. Especially when currie makes highpinion rockstomper centersections that are awsome already. There really isnt any bennefit to it, and seems like it would be a waste of time. then again theres the "look at that" factor (like the front 14 bolt that was done) but not much more. Just my .02

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

From Pirate -

Why would you buy the C's and knuckles if you can build the center section? If you have the skill to build the center section the rest should be cake.

13. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

If you think there's no point, you didn't read/pay attention to the whole thread :D

14. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

good point! :wink1:

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thats your post i see ONE HUGE problem.

How can you say you are to lazy to find a 78-9 ford axle then how could you ever expect to make from scrach an axle that would equle a D60

AND at that point why the hell would you want to make a D60?>
    why not make a d80 or something with the set up of a regular (nonrockwel) axle with better strenght, you better, because it would cost you so friggen much to do it you better make it the strongest most compact axle in the world, and easy to make and resell or it the whole venter is pointless!

possible but not plausable

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

I am sorry but that is the F_ing funnest thing i have ever read.

17. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

you want a picture of the PTV (parachute test vehicle) we built still sitting out in the yard? might even be a piicture on the company website. you've got a big mouth and a bad attitude. i never have been able to figure out why some people think it's OK to talk that way on the internet, when you wouldn't do it in real life, cuz you'd have to dodge punches all the time.

18. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

you didn't finish the thread. the point changed drastically from a dumb idea thrown out for fun to something different.

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you dident read mine

EDIT i did read the whole thread

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you know what dont talk about me you dont know me, and your the one with a piss poor attatude!

the though i found funny was that apollo 13 when wrong the ship damn near blew up, i never said you werent a good worker or that things you built were bad i simply founf it humorus that you were crediting a disaster to you talints, i found it funny.