Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this the knock senser???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Aug 3, 2005.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

Oct 17, 2002
    hi i was crawling under my 89 blazer today and noticed that a black wire was hanging down by my starter and looks as though it connects to a senser on the bottom of the block right above the oil pan and between the starter and engine mount. If this is the knock senser should i still drive it? and can i get a new wire or end at least? thanks :confused:
  2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Jul 6, 2004
    It sounds like it's your knock sensor. Is it a round sensor with a hex shaped housing around the back/lower part of it?

It's actually fairly common for the wire end to get craked or damaged. Most everyone, when they replace the wire, just splices into the original, by using the new end.
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    GM kept that same connection for the knock sensor for I don't know how many years, so they are extremely easy to find in wrecking yards. As far as I've seen, every GM knock sensor uses the same connector. (at least the 80's early 90's)

Last connector pigtail I saw for a sensor was something like $12, no way I'm going to pay that for something the wrecking yards will give me, and let me have my pick of the best one. :)

Solder/shrink wrap that connection when you do splice it.