Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this the right price for elderado calipers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Sep 19, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I called a local parts store here and asked to see if they could get 77' Elderado calipers and they said they could have them there in a day. I knew that all you all say that they are expensive so, I ask how much they cost and he told me $65 each. Well, that’s not that much at all so, I ask if they are for the rear and he says they are. I ask if they have the previsions for the e-brake and he did not know but he did say there is only one kind for that year.
    Does this all sound right?

Thanks,
    Charles

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Charles, You have the right calipers but they will probably not come with the e-brake lever which is hard to find. Ask the parts guy if you can also order the lever with them. Then you will have what you need.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yup thats a good price but you will need the left and right e-brake levers for them (GM part# 1806044&1806045) you will also need the return springs (GM paart#18060030) and you can get them shipped to your door here. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Also ask him what the core charge is. It's usually as much or more than the price of the calipers. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Since you don't have a set of Eldorado calipers to turn back in, then they'll get to keep the core charge too. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I went on Plant Salvage and got a junk pair for $20 to turn in as cores.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

www.natauto.com has the 76-78 calipers off and on, (just keep calling every week until they do) and my dad just picked up a pair for $65 each. $15 core charge each as well. No e-brake lever included, and they can't get them.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's a smokin' deal. When I was trying to find some a few years back, they cost $130 EACH if you didn't have a core. And that was the cheapest place I could find. Then I lucked out and stopped at a small JY that had just hauled in a '76 Eldo the day before. I got both working rear calipers for $40, with the lever. I was a happy camper! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I did treat them to new seals and o-rings. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I found them at O'Reilly Auto Parts (www.oreillyauto.com) at about that price. Core charge was only $15.

9. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Ok, now I have the calipers but now I can't find the e-brake levers. I called the dealer and the stated they have been discontinued since 1988. I tryed the part # that beater74 gave me but there was no such luck. Does anyone know where I can get these.

thanks
    Charles

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Did you call a Caddy dealer? I searched GM parts direct with the numbers above and they came up... </font color>

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

huh thats weird i look about a month ago and they all worked but now only the part #18060030 works and thats for the spring. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

12. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I tried a Chevy dealer and they couldnt get it but tomorrow I'll a Cadi dealer. I'm getting desperate and might have to return these things. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Charles

13. dyeager535

Old post, but I gotta correct something.

part# 18060030 doesn't get you Eldo springs, at least not '76-78 ones.

Perhaps they are Seville and/or 79-85 Eldo springs, but they are 4 3/4" long, and 1 1/16th diameter. (approx) I measured the springs on the '79-85 setup in my garage, those springs, and the springs the part number above brings you, appear to be the same.

These were purchased new, still in the GM bag, so there is no question that the part number is wrong. Here's a pic of the 76-78 Eldo calipers, and the *correct* spring: http://home.houston.rr.com/chevy73/temp/caddy1.jpg

The spring you will get with the above listed part number is for calipers with an e-brake bracket that holds the spring in place(such as '79-85 Eldo), NOT the ones shown in the above picture.

If you've got calipers that are the 7" pin spacing but set up one caliper facing forward, and one rear, with the e-brake spring held in place with a bracket, they are apparently from a Seville, not an Eldorado.

If/when that link above dies, you can email me for a copy of the pic.

14. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Did you call a Caddy dealer? I searched GM parts direct with the numbers above and they came up... </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Shaggy, I tried "GM Parts Direct", for part numbers #1806044 &amp; 5. It said these parts were not available. Am I doing something wrong?</font>

15. dyeager535

Try www.natauto.com Think thats the place. Not too expensive from there.

16. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

National Auto Stores, A-1 Cardone 18-4117 &amp; 18-4116 $60.01 ea + $15 core.

The Chevy dealer micro film pict of the caliper showed the spring which looked like it anchored with a clip with a bolt. He must of had the wrong year up? He said parts no longer available so he had no P/N's.

Brought the P/N's from a different post here on CK5 to the dealer and he said they were from newer Olds, Chevys etc. Didn't want to screw around getting the wrong parts so found junk yard calipers with the levers and banjo bolts for $25 ea. Striped em and then turned them in for the core. Knew they were right cause I saw them on the car. They were plumbed with hard line right to the caliper, just as someone else said before.

17. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

TSM has the whole caliper set up new for $280.00

18. dyeager535

Where the heck do you find those calipers in the wrecking yard?? (rhetorical question)

Collect those things and sell them. Haven't seen any calipers, much less the e-brake lever, since I started looking about 2 years ago! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Just got lucky. It helped to tell the guy that it was for a swap and I really just needed the levers and springs. He thought that was cool and went the extra mile to help out. He said he had an Eldo but didn't know if it had the calipers. We went up to look and they were there. He did a search thing too and a few other yards had them as well, though one wanted $75 each /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

20. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Just called to a parts store that's supposed to have parts for every US made car/truck,and they wanted $230/each for eldo calibers.And without e-brake lever,of course /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Then I asked if they have 8-lug discs for D44.Yes,they have,$307/each /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Ok,so I checked another place,8-lug disc is about $110 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Eldo's are few and rare here,so it's gonna take a while before I get disc brakes for my 14-bolt FF.