Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is this the right torque? seems high

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Sep 7, 2006.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hey all yet another fantastic newber question. The instructions for the drop pitman arm say to torque it to 175 foot pounds. That seemed rather high to me so I thought I would double check. Also any suggestions to keep the arm from turning while im torqueing it or just muscle my way through? Again thanks for the help all.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

What's your truck. I don't know any torque specs for an 1876 covered wagon. :rolleyes:

Are you talking about the nut for the clamp where it attaches to the gear box shaft on a 4wd? The nut where the pitman arm attaches to the draglink. Or are you running a 2wd sector shaft for crossover?

3. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

ermm sorry its for a 89 gmc 1 ton crewcab d60 axle. Its the the nut and bolt that attaches the pitman arm to the steering box.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That bolt would be more around the 75 lb. range. I can believe that the 175 lb would be for a 2wd pitman arm sector shaft nut.

5. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

whew glad I asked maybe it was a typo or something. Geez thanks all saved my bacon