Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this truck worth $2500?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by coloradoblazers, Jun 25, 2003.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Went to a dealer today, drove a 1985 Chevy K10 Silverado.
    The good: /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    Runs strong, new edelbrock carb, dual exaust, no appearent smoke, good oil level, looks awesome(6" lift, 35" tires) cd player, original air, lights and signals work, body is not bad, straight, toolbox, heat(in case southern Georgia ever gets cold).
    The bad: /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    6" blocks, spongy breaks(looks like leaky calipers and master cylinder), rusty(in bed and near tank filler, cab+rockers are great), needs new hoses, reverse lights don't work, a/c does not blow.
    The ugly: /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    NO gauges work(including speedo /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )
    'redneck' body lift-looks like metal and wood shims between bed and frame, leaky axles, steering box, maybe tranny, looks like original 4 speed swapped to a 3 speed, tcase and tranny lowerd in 'homemade' fashion, frontdrive shaft is shot(f uped splines), tcase doesn't feel like it goes all the way into 2wd, NO fluid in cooler overflow.

Well that about sums it up. I won't pay $2500 for it, too unsafe as is. Needs alot to bring it up to sat on my safety scale. I told them to ask the owner(is a cosignment) the lowest price, I would pay no more than 2000 as is, 1800 cash would be comfortable. I already have a 4x4 in Colorado, so I just need a daily driver. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif What do you all think, Go for it, and take on another project, or follow better judgement, wait for something better, and continue to bum rides everywhere?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifJ

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I was going to say go for it...that is, until I got to "the ugly" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you want another project (which it sounds like this will be), offer $1700-1800. Any higher than that and you're getting shafted what with all the repair expenses and all.

Just my opinion anyway.

EDIT: WAIT!!! Do you mean the whole lift is comprised of 6" body lift blocks?!?! I can't tell from your post. If that's the case, don't buy it because a mechanically un-inclined person is the previous owner and you'll be cussing at him/her for years to come.

3. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

This really wouldn't even be a very good project. Who knows how much more bootie fab you will find when you start tearing it apart. If I were you, I'd try to find a stock truck with some tiny tires. At least that way you know that everything should be fairly close to factory specs. I know it looks cool now, but it is probably not worth it.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Bingo! That's what I was trying to say...just put in a simple, understandable way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I'd pass and keep looking, just my .02 cents. Good luck.

6. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

it has 6" blocks in the rear, not on body. Looks like a homemade 1" body lift. I just need a vehicle at this time, and there is nothing on the truck I can't handle, and it is the cheapest I have fornd in this area so far. I won't go above 2000, and that is pushing it. idealy I want an k20 or k30 that is stock, so I can go to work on that, and use it to tow my Blazer down here,but can't seem to find one /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    the dealer says she has a list of people waiting to buy it, so we'll see if it is there for the next few days, then go in and negotiate.
    J /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    the dealer says she has a list of people waiting to buy it

[/ QUOTE ] From my experence, most car dealers spew BS like that trying too get more $ for a crappy vechile. If they had a list of people wanting too buy it, why isn't it sold ???

8. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Hold off and be patient. As soon as you drop the money on that one, a really good one for $2500 will be for sale. It would cost more to fix that one than it would to get a close to stock and put the lift on it. Just my opinion.