Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this truck worth the money???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vdubbin86, Dec 13, 2002.

1. vdubbin86

vdubbin86 Registered Member

I'm going to pick up another k5. I found one I'm interested in, here is what the ad says:

1990 Chevrolet Scottsdale Blazer - 5.7l, manual 3 spd, 4x4, winch, delay wipers, power rear window, dual batteries, new tires and windsheild, solid blazer, 151575kms $5800cdn (about 3700 US)

My only problem with the truck is that it has the 81-88 style grill. I think is is an ex-fleet truck. And I take it that by 3 spd manual they mean it has the 465??? If so, which transfer case came behind it in that year?

Any opinions?

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Should be a NP241.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If the body is in real good shape, I would guess it might be worth that. Scottsdale is the stripper model in those years, rubber floor mats, etc. If you like manual trannies it is a good find since there were very few manual tranny Blazers made in those later years.

4. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I agree, ONLY if the body is very good. 4-spd trucks are hard to come by but that doesn't mean you'll never find one again. I paid way too much out here just so I could get a 4-spd and t the body was shot (had to buy a donor truck for that).
    Also, if it is a plain jane model (scottsdale), I would think twice about the price.
    smack

5. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

I would wonder about that 3-speed. That may be a 3-on-the-tree truck, which would be a weaker tranny (dunno which one). Canadian trucks have some weird equipment.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's probably a SM 465. It's a 3 speed with granny gear. On the street you would rarely use granny.

7. vdubbin86

vdubbin86 Registered Member

I just got back from looking at it. As for rust it just has 2 small bubbles on the rear quarter above the tire, nothing showing through. Nothing underneath or in the wheelwells.

It is completely optionless. Rubber floors, vinyl seats, etc. The only thing power in it is the rear window and it works.

It has a warn winch. Don't know what kind cause I couldn't see a model number on it. It is one of the ones with the motor above the spool and it looks like it has barely been used.

It only has about 90k miles on it. And a brand new set of 235/75r15 Bridgestone duellers on it.

It runs very smooth. It does have the 465 in it also. The bumpers are pretty beefy looking and the rear has a pintle hitch on it. It is definately a fleet truck, I think maybe government.

What do ya think?

Thanks

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That would be an 8274 winch, they are about $1000 US new. Figgure that into your decision.

9. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

those are very good winches, fastest and most line of any warn winch...my 77 jeep had one from the factory as special equipment, and its goin on my K5 as soon as I find a bumper for it....and since you said no rust, i think its a good deal, specially up north with sand and salt from winter and snow..pick it up and coat the floors of the tub with the liquid bedliner to perserve it, it'll be around for a long time

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Check to see if it's been painted. With 90k on it up north, unless it's all summer miles, it's going to have more rust than that. I'd check the body mounts real good. It seems kind of fishy. Most fleet trucks are automatics in my experience.

My truck had 64k on it when I bought it. The driver's rocker and floor was junk (floor rotted from the inside out). The cab corners were gone too. I live in the sticks where they only use 15% salt in the salt/sand mixture. It'd never seen the expressway and it had no more than 10k of highway miles on it.