Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is this what I think it is?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ankarback, Sep 5, 2005.

1. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I opened up the rear axle in my new suburban to change the oil and to check the axleratio and I found that there's some kind of locker in there :D

I've never seen one in an axle but am I right to think that this is a Detroit locker?

I also tried to figure out the axleratio but found 108 and 20 and that make no sense at all. Can anyone figure that out for me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

if calculation serves right that gear ratio is 5.40's. seems like an odd # to me and really low..

3. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

That's what I got too but I don't beleive it. It doesn't feel that low, I´m guessing 4.11 or 4.56. I´ve never heard of 5.40, hope the frontaxle is the same ratio as the rear :doah: . I'll have to check that tomorrow.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The gears inside the carrier show to be an open dif. Sorry, don't see no DL in there.

Count the teeth again. Mark where you start and get back with us. The numbers you posted should be for something else rather than the gear ratio.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wrong numbers!

The gear ratio is stamped on the outer edge of the ring gear--it will say something like " 40-10-73" that would mean 4.10's and manufactured in 1973,as an example..I'm not sure about what locker that is (if it is at all)..someone else will have to identify it for you.. :crazy:

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

look on the edge of the ring gear there will be a series of numbers. POst those up and we can tell ya.

7. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

how many holes on the circumfrence of the carrier 3 or 4?

4= detroit iirc
    3=open iirc

8. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Then I found the wrong numbers. It sure looks strange for an open diff. It looks like it has two pinionshafts?? I thought it might be a locker because of that :blush: Just wishfull thinking I guess...

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The last 4 sets of numbers on the ring gear edge will tell you the ratio. should be XX XX XX XX. The last 2 are the date code, and the two before the date code are the number of pinion teeth and the number of ring gear teeth.

The numbers you found are in the carrier casting itself and could mean anything...

As for locker or no...it looks as open as open gets to me. The DL would have spring windings visible through the carrier windows.

Rene

10. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Then it´s open :( It was definetly no springs visible in there. Looks like I'll have to check the gear ratio again.

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

4= detroit or open
    3= gov-lok

12. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

makes sense now that i think about it. thanx :bow:

13. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

You should be happy with a open diff, easy to weld or slip in a DL! I've sold a fiew open diffs in my day but have a hard time giving away a Gov-bomb!

Every time I pull a cover of a 14FF for the first time my heart speeds up just a little thinking of the slight chance of there being a Detroit No-Spin in there. :eek1:

I know it's very unlikely but GM did strange things over the years.

Jeff

14. mikey_d05

Like put them in CUCV's from the factory :D

15. jason m

jason m 1/2 ton status

its an open diff, 14bolts have a two piece sandwitch style carreir like the one you pictured, i belive ( and dont hold me to this ) but the gov-loc locker has three holes for the cross pin not four like your is pictured.
    they can be deceving ( the carriers ) cause when you open up the cover it does not look like a conventional carrier, i said the same thing a long time ago when i pulled a nine inch apart, they look like the same, jason.

16. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Just think if the CUCV 14FF pile got mixed up with the civilan(?) pile! :D :D

Was the Detroit No-Spin put in at GM or buy the military? Or some sub-contractor?

Jeff

17. mikey_d05

I THINK it was put in by GM...someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

But yes, if there's a Detroit in a 14bolt, you'll definitely see a spring when you look into the little window in the carrier. I'm sure somebody will have a picture of it, I forgot to snap a photo when I had mine opened up.

18. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

The reason I thought it might be a detroit in the first place is that i know the PO replaced the axle a while ago. I thought that maybe it was from a M1008 or something. Looks like it's quite easy to put a locker in there so i might do that in the future.

19. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

They don't all have the springs visible. I know this will probably start a huge heated debate, but the 14 bolt with a DL that I own has no springs that I can see from the outside of the carrier (never had it apart, but I looked and they arent anywhere to be seen). I also own an Eaton H052 w/ DL, which is the 14 bolt's predecessor, and its open carrier looks almost the exact same. There are no springs in that, either. I also have another Eaton with an open diff, and you can clearly see the spiders. Its easy to tell between the two.

In both of these axles, all I can see is smooth metal in the holes where you see spider gears in the above pic. I don't know if they were both installed improperly or what, but they don't have the springs.

:dunno:

20. mikey_d05

I don't know either man, all the ones I've seen you can see springs. Either way I think everybody's in agreement that this guy definitely has an open carrier.