Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is tire balancing for sissies?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Nov 26, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone not balance their tires and put a lot of street miles on em?

I mounted my own 38x13x16 TSL's and didn't even bother to balance them... I didn't even balance my last 35" mud terrains...
    I expected the truck to shake a lot more than it actually does.. its pretty smooth at some speeds... it does shake just a bit sometimes, but i am pretty happy with my unbalanced 38's.
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Never have had my 39.50's balanced... They start to shake at about 72 mph but below that it's not too bad.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Mouse balls... dirty dirty mouse balls. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. audacious

audacious Registered Member

i would say that if you got offroad tires on then your not worried about the wear of them and also if you really go offroad youll never keep them balanced anyways. so unless you got street tires on or you just mud around without wackin rocks or bouncing on steps. you should balance em. just rotate them often to keep em even and it helps on the wear. rotating them will keep it from shakin too bad also.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

some people are just lucky.....

It would be nice to receieve 4 round tires when I plunk down my hard earned cash, but that hasn't happened to me yet.

-SissyBoy

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Mouse balls... dirty dirty mouse balls. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh C'Mon Shaggy, you can do better than that! Whatever happened to "Im saving a box of nasty mice to rape for their balls"

I have started the same box of Nasty Mice! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I had my 36x14.50's load force balanced and they ride great. This is on my daily driver. These tires are too expensive for me to not balance and get decent wear out of them.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Why wouldn't ya balance tires you spent a grand on?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sissy boy with balanced 35's......... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Balancing is overrated. I have made many trips over an hour in my rig with 38.5s.

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Some of you guys have had better luck than I. My new set of MT/R's bounce and wobble at about 50 MPH. I was going to try running them without balancing, but now I will definately get them balanced. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Balancing is overrated. I have made many trips over an hour in my rig with 38.5s.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! .... a whole HOUR!?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

20 straight hours to Moab, and another 20 hours home. That's kind of trip that might change your mind.....but for now just call me:

-SissyBoy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 39.5's are unbalanced and ride pretty good. I have a slight shake at one speed (~50 mph) but at cruise speed on the freeway they ride smooth.

I've put 4000 miles on them so far (prolly rotate them this weekend) and they're wearing nice and even. I must have got a fairly round set I guess...

Rene

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 35x16 boggers that are balanced and they are smooth as glass at any speed.

14. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! .... a whole HOUR!?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

20 straight hours to Moab, and another 20 hours home. That's kind of trip that might change your mind.....but for now just call me:

-SissyBoy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A whole 20 hours? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Try 24 to and from MOAB! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Arent you the sissyboy who drove across the US? I knew I recognised you from somewhere!

Guys, I realise being a little upset when you buy tires and have them out of round when new. These are Offroad tires we are talking about right? Since when did Interco publish information stating that Swampers would provide nice highway characteristics? I think if you buy a performance tire, you buy it for that reason. The people in persuit for the ultimate offroad tire that gives performance both on road and off, are fooling themselves.

16. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Arent you the sissyboy who drove across the US? I knew I recognised you from somewhere!

Guys, I realise being a little upset when you buy tires and have them out of round when new. These are Offroad tires we are talking about right? Since when did Interco publish information stating that Swampers would provide nice highway characteristics? I think if you buy a performance tire, you buy it for that reason. The people in persuit for the ultimate offroad tire that gives performance both on road and off, are fooling themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mudzer,

I gotta disagree with you on this one.....Round is round. It's a basic characteristic that a tire should have regardless of it's intended application.

I can accept that "offroad" tires will wear quickly on the street, or will produce loud resonances at highway speeds..... but saying that an offroad tire is ALLOWED to have 1/4" of runout is pretty feeble....especially when they're charging $200+/tire!!!

If Interco offered tires at <$100 ea that were non-round, I might be willing to accept that as part of the price/performance tradeoff. Heck, at THAT price, I could still have them "trued" for less than a normal set of TSLs......

I know you have buddies at Interco, so you don't want to say mean things about them..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mudzer,

I gotta disagree with you on this one.....Round is round. It's a basic characteristic that a tire should have regardless of it's intended application.

I can accept that "offroad" tires will wear quickly on the street, or will produce loud resonances at highway speeds..... but saying that an offroad tire is ALLOWED to have 1/4" of runout is pretty feeble....especially when they're charging $200+/tire!!!

If Interco offered tires at <$100 ea that were non-round, I might be willing to accept that as part of the price/performance tradeoff. Heck, at THAT price, I could still have them "trued" for less than a normal set of TSLs......

I know you have buddies at Interco, so you don't want to say mean things about them..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

That is why so far I haven't bought swampers.
    I did buy a set of boggers used and sold them back before I even used them.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with you Greg. They should either be much cheaper or produce a higher quality product. The problem is that they have no competition so they don't need to. Maybe if someone else had a product that took their business, they would.

I do apologize for my trips only lasting an hour or so (Badlands was 3 hours there and 3 hours back but that's my longest trip yet). I don't really want to drive my Swampers far down the highway. That's not their intended use and they wear too quickly on the road. I intend on getting some A/Ts to run on the road so I can swap them out, wheel, swap back to the A/Ts, and drive home.

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Oddly enough Michellins are round...if only they had some more 'normal' sizes I might consider them.

If interco would make 'rounder' tires they'd probably last a little longer too.

Rene

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If interco would make 'rounder' tires they'd probably last a little longer too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they want to do that? Then they couldn't sell you a new set right away!