Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is useful stuff allowed in the lounge?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DavidB, Jul 26, 2006.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Need help from some of you contractor types out there. I know a bit of construction, wondering about this...I'm the foreman in my family's machine and welding shop. I can do anything I could want to my truck there, but I want something air conditioned and at home closer to the family, need a place to wrench on the truck when it's 120* outside. I have a single car garage in the back, but it's too low. Water pools on the floor when it rains (rarely), and I think my truck will barely fit in if it does at all. It's also old, 2x4 construction, and poorly insulated, if at all. My idea is to open the walls on the inside, raise the whole building, and pour a new footing/floor over the old one. Then scab in 2x6 studs and insulate the heck out of it, same thing in the roof (2x8?). Has a ceiling/attic, but think I might remove it for more headroom. The PO (my uncle) also closed up the garage door, so I'll have to install a new (very well insulated - recommendations?) one. Also, the main power for the house comes from the pole in the alley to the garage, then to the house...and one corner of the patio roof leans on the corner of the garage. Either all that, or tear the whole thing down and rebuild... Recommendations? What do you guys think? Need pics?

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Raising a roof is not easy. If the building is as old as it sounds it may well be worth your time to just tear down and start over. One bump in the road would be the running of power as it hits the garage first. Might have to install a temp/perm pole there. Just some thoughts to get ya goin. Maybe.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I asked a freind who builds houses and does remodeling this and he said tear it down, but carefully. Sell the used lumber cheap and build it right

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sounds like you would be better off to start over. By the time you make it right, you will have spent more time/money than just starting over.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Check your zoning regs before you do anything. Alot of older buildings won't meet current codes and setbacks. They are "grandfathered", so no issue. BUT, the minute you pull a permit, you have to come up to current code. Setbacks may prevent you from erecting a new building, but "repairing" the old building should not have the same restrictions.

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

There is that. I think here in Az if you leave the foundation alone and leave one wall standing then it's considered a remodel. More food for thought. Then you can always of course expand after that.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

IMHO teardown and rebuild. I see you live in california They can be very anal about remodels. might be cheaper to put up a metal building or pole barn if allowed. Check your local buildingcodes before you do anything. You might be opening an ugly can of crushed azzholes

8. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I don't think you will be able do poor a new slab over the old one.
    the mix wont hold up and crack apart. the best thing would be to build a new building. Its a lot of work but most can be done your self. you can buy approved planes for a garage but it might be cheaper to do a metal building
    just my .02

9. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

If you don't want to spend the money on a new building I would unbolt the garage from the floor and Jack it up. Then you can install one or two rows of cement blocks. I wouldn't change the walls from 2x4 to 2x6 theres no reason to do that. I have 2x4 walls in my garage in Michigan and 3.5" of fiberglass insulation stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer (window A.C.). I also have 10" of fiberglass in the ceiling (2x4 trusses) If you already have drywall up blown in insulation is a good option. To level the floor quik crete sells a self leveling concrete product to go over the old concrete check it out at home depot.

10. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Block idea is interesting, have to check into how strong it would be for code. Earthquake country. Need to go 2X6 walls for more insulation. It runs 120 Farenheit in the summer here. Not too worried about how lever the floor is, I just need it higher...it's a couple inches below grade, and fills with water when it rains. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Anyone have ideas for a good well insulated, good sealing garage door?

11. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

It's been a year, man! :haha:

13. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

SO?! :D

What the best door out there?

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Try PMing Robzilla, he knows about doors but doesn't come into the Lounge.

15. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

so he knows about doors but can't find the one to the Lounge?? :rolleyes:

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

some doors are better left unopened!

get an aluminum door, wood ones are solid and unisulated, and sag so they suck, you could get a non insulated alum door, anf fit the backwith SM board, or get an insulated alum door, there alum inside and out,

17. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a decent aluminum door and then cut some 1.5" hard insulation to fit in the panels. I did that in my old garage and it made a huge difference in the temps of the garage as well as a slight impact for the good to the house. This also keeps the cost down as well as the weight.