Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is winamp biased?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Nov 29, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Is it just me or does winamp only play the same songs over and over by certain bands? In its random jumping around it always seems to land on certain songs by bands and not the 10+ other ones I have by them. At the moment it is Soilwork - Overload, a few before that was Soilwork - The Crestfallen, these seem to be the only 2 soilwork songs it lands on, and I own a few of their CDs and have them on my PC.

2. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

i often wonder the same things....and it bothers me sometimes how it randomly plays the same stuff over and over

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Windows media player does the same thing. I've got a good 25 gb of music on my hard drive, and there are songs I hear two or three times a night. Drives me nuts sometimes, cause there are some really great songs on my computer, and I gotta hunt them down to hear them, lol

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

It could also be poorly written random code within the program too, and since you don't listen to all of the thousands of songs on your harddrive, you're only listening to the first 100 in the random lineup which ends up being the same 100 songs.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds familiar!...

Hmm--must be programmed by the same people that the country radio stations use..same songs all day,or same artists..money talks :surepal: :mad:

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

MTMike's on the nose ... computers are actually REALLY bad at generating random numbers. Psuedorandom, yes, but then there are patterns -- which you are seeing.

I betcha WinAmp and MediaPlayer both go to some Windows API call for the random, or at least the random seed ... and that's where the problem lies.

Heh heh, random seed.

Anyway ... </geek>

-- A

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I don't know about Winamp, but perhaps WMP is kinda like Yahoo Launch where it keeps track of what you rate high and what you listen to the most... Because there are options on WMP to generate playlists based on their rating and how often you play or don't play them, so it obviously keeps track of that stuff... :confused:

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

I don't have that problem, because I usually don't make playlists. Usually when brother and I start to listen something using WMP or Winamp, we usually just grab the whole album a song is off of and listen to the whole album, switching albums when we want to hear something different.