Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Isn't this a little over the top?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddin4fun, Feb 20, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Isn\'t this a little over the top?

In Frisco, TX some african americans are trying to get a school to change their mascot. The school's mascot is a racoon. They don't like 'coon' in it. So, because they are inturpreting it wrong, they think it should change??
    That's a bit rediculous. I think someone doesn't have enough to worry about in their lives....
    Your thoughts?

"Out in Luckenbach Texas, there ain't nobody feelin no pain" Waylon Jennings 1937-2002

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: Isn\'t this a little over the top?

hmmmm, I wonder if an Italian School would complain in there mascot was a Guine Pig???? I call john a "guiney" all the time. doesnt seem to bother him LOL....

I guess if your life has ONLY that to worry about- your one lucky person. Some american indians here wanted to change a mascot from the "chiefs" becuase it was "derogitory"... its only derogitory if you LET it be.

small minds, small problems

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

3. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

You know, as long as people keep making race an issue there will continue to be racial problems, I wish some people could just move forward from the whole thing. I understand there were some injustices done in the past but one race, religon, or sex does not have a corner on the market!!!
    I remember a year or so back they were trying to get a monument in Denton I think, torn down because it was dedicated to the soldiers of the Confederacy, where does it stop, where is the preverbial line to finally cross?
    I myself try very hard to raise my children to base thier friendships on the person and not by looks. I just hope it works! If we all did this, the topic of this thread would not even be an issue!
    I am just tired of everone having thin skin and having to worry about offending someone, PC you know!
    Just my thoughts on the subject.

Gee your a fart smeller, Oh, I mean a Smart Feller!

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yep....i dont know what's wrong with people. Everyone wants to live in thier blue blue world with a blue blue sky. Well get friggin real people!

And it goes both ways, all ways. I dont see it getting any better anytime soon.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

5. muddin4fun

I forgot to add. I'm going to talk to Club and Elmer's and tell them they need to change the name of their product they call 'crackers' because it's demeaning to my European-American brothers and sisters. Also, since my race is also hyphenated...I deserve 'hyphenated race names' rights also.

*I'm being sarcastic btw*

"Out in Luckenbach Texas, there ain't nobody feelin no pain" Waylon Jennings 1937-2002

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I could see it.... At a basketball game all the kids chanting "Let's Go Coon's!" LOL...[​IMG]

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>I'm Discombobulated </a>

7. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Some people are so worried about the weeds in their neighbors yard that they don't notice that their yard has weeds a foot tall...

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/abshort>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I saw a story one time about how the black community in some southern state, wanted the confederate flag removed from the school logo. I totally understand that as the flag, IN MY OPINON, represents slavery and hatred(AGAIN, This is MY OPINON, please don't give me $hit about MY OPINON). As for changing the mascot of a racoon because of the 'coon' part, that is stupid. It is a frickin little, fuzzy animal. Get over it.

I also agree with the comment about, as long as people keep up the racial, there will always be tention. Two names to prove my point; Rodney King, O.J. Simpson. Both trials were about racism, and not how King was driving drunk and not listening to the officers after he finally stopped. Or if Simpson really killed them or not. After Areosmith did Walk This Way with Run DMC, Steven Tyler said, "Anything to try to break all this racial crap. I am just so tired of it all." Well said.

<font color=blue> So Cal Big Dawg Member </font color=blue>

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I wonder if you go to a larger city high school where there are mainly black kids and their mascot is "Negros"? [​IMG] Would the only white kid in the school be offended by that? [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

10. muddin4fun

Well actually, if the white kid got offended, then he'd be racist. *shakes head*

11. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

The same thing is going on down in San Diego. The mascot is "Monty" from Mexico's Montezuma. The American Indians are trying to get him changed because it's demeaning to their culture. They're attacking him because he's a native of this continent. I don't think we'll see and end to this in our life times. If our planet was attacked and we had to stand a fight together we wouldn't stand a chance, Would we?

Just my opinion

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, we ought to lobby congress to change the animals name to nocturnal furry beast with striped tail, so that nobody can get offended!! I wonder dog's get offended when I say, "my truck is running like a dog"...

I don't think we'll ever eliminate racism, I think there will always be a couple members of society that make a decision about a person based on thier appearance, or whatever.

I don't think it's really about being offended by "coon", I think it's about making headlines... If not, these folks must be a mess during halloween, with all the references to "spooks"...

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

13. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Just a historical correction, the civil war had absolutely nothing to do with slavery!!! It was about the right to secede from the union. Whe other things that we were taught in school were a minute part of it but it was a spin to gain allies.

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I'm offended by white bread !!!!!

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

15. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well, guys the funny part of this scenerio which had yet to be mentioned is that frisco is primarily a black school. At least it was a few years ago..Football team expecially all most all black students...I've been telling this story for quite a few years..Now someone wants to change things...geez

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

16. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You need to remove the plank in your eye before you can remove the sliver from your neighbors... these folks really need to worry about other stuff... stuff like say maybe feeding homeless, visiting old folks in nursing homes, working with kids in the hospital... racism will be around for as long as people like that look to keep it going and choose to make a issue like this....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

17. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

HERE, HERE!!!!

18. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Just a historical correction, the civil war had absolutely nothing to do with slavery!!! It was about the right to secede from the union. Whe other things that we were taught in school were a minute part of it but it was a spin to gain allies.

<hr></blockquote>

I agree, the whole TAKING THE FLAG DOWN is a bunch of bull. Does that mean we need to get rid of the cross becuase people burned them? Or trees becuase black people were hung by them? Its rediculous and this is also MY OPINION.

If you didnt build it, it isnt really yours.........
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/index.htm>http://mandydyer.tripod.com/index.htm</a>

19. muddin4fun

If I think real hard about it, I can get myself offended over anything. And that's what the problem is. People won't quit thinking about it. And in most cases, whatever is brought up usually isn't meant to be racist ya know? Like, nobody thinks of racoons as racist slang...so, IMO people who bring it up are as racist if not more than others.

<font color=green>Um....having trouble coming up with somptin good...</font color=green>

20. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

We haven't walked in their shoes so we won't understand why some things that seem harmless to us, are seen as harmful to others, because we aren't them and we aren't the minority. If everyone had to spend the day as a minority then perhaps it might make sense to them. Just think, as women, how fired up we get when demeaning chauvenistic things are said about women. Men don't get what all the fuss is about, because they aren't women. Should we blame men for being ignorant to understanding how woman feel? No, they aren't woman so they don't know and never will understand. However, men are expected to be respectful to how we feel and believe us when we say something bothers or offends us. Why should it be different for anyone else who expresses a discomfort with a certain thing? Shouldn't we take it at face value and try to do what we can to solve the problem. Yes, there are people who are whiners about every little nuance of what they think is racism, chauvanism, etc..., but that is hardly the majority. Just like most women don't go on and on about every small inuendo towards them. There are some, that will make mountain out of molehills just to have something to cry about, but again, they wouldn't be the majority. I don't know, it's late, I'm tired. Does any of this make sense?

<font color=purple>Michelle~</font color=purple>

It's never too late to have a happy childhood[​IMG]