Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

isn't this the truth,,,,,

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4xcrazy, Nov 14, 2005.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN
    JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA ) was perking, he
    shaved with his electric razor! (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress
    shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and
    tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA ). After cooking his breakfast in his new
    electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE
    IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his
    watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car
    (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB.
    At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to
    relax for a
    while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of
    wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then
    wondered why he can't find a good paying job in....AMERICA.....

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Boy howdy.

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Easy ther boy, you know how the truth pisses people off! :rolleyes:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well I'd like to buy more American made products , but where ?

I sell some stuff made in Mexico , and Canada , some overseas .

Many of the products I sell are still made here , lots of part numbers by Whirlpool :D

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sucks, don't it? :mad:

6. pauly383

Yes it does , but it WILL come full circle someday , and manufacturing will be evenly distributed .............when the people making stuff and answering phones overseas demand more money for less work :wink1:

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I just hate to think what happens if we get into another world war with China. They'll be holding us by the sack 'cause we don't have the industry to make our own things like we did in the 40's.

8. pauly383

Nope , one good bug released in China , and they'd all get sick and surrender to US................. seriously :D

10 bucks says we have the technlogy , even no one knows about it :wink1:

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

its also the truth that if he bought all made-in-USA stuff, he couldn't afford a coffeepot, electric razor, dress shirts, calculators, cars or radios. :thumb: slave labor overseas = cheap stuff for all of us to buy. Sad but true. Hell, can you imagine how much cars would be if there was NO automotive imports and GM was pricing there stuff accordingly? Nothing like a $75,000 Cobalt! lol. ;)

j

10. jekbrown

:rolleyes:

China doesn't want any part of a war with us. They may be former commies, but they ain't that dumb. Fact is, no infrastructure in the world could withstand an American war machine pounding on it for any length of time. Imagine tomahawks slamming into all those new 1000'+ tall skyscrapers in Shanghai. Dams would be good targets too. Did I mention biowarfare on their water supply? How about full naval blockade or bombardment of their ports? So many nasty things we could do to a country, all we need is a reason and a target. :thumb: :grin:

j

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Think of it the other way. What if China would win if we went to war? I still don't think China would go to war with us, even if they would win. Who would buy all the junk they make?

:o

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK.....I'll play the opposing side of this argument.

Does Joe Smith really think that he'll get a "good paying job" assembling a clock radio, calculator, sandals or a coffeepot? :rolleyes:

Joe Smith is delusional if he thinks that someone is going to pay him good money for entry-level production skills. The designs for those products may have come from overseas, and maybe they didn't..... if he wants to make good money, he needs to provide good "value" to an employer. Either by designing the product, marketing it....or even by being the shop owner that sells those items....

Just as businesses are forced to "evolve" to stay competitive, employees need to constantly improve and refine their skills to stay relevant in a more competitive marketplace.

These types of arguements remind me of the mentality of many of the hurricane victims in New Orleans.....standing around, waiting for their government handout....demanding that someone ELSE take ownership and fix the situation that they've found themselves in.

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Uhh.....they have more troops than the entire population of our nation...and they have nukes that can reach us. Tell me again why we would win if they caught us by surprise?

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

OK OK OK OK, that's enough of the war talk,,,,GOD you guys can be depressing sometimes,,,,,,

Greg,,,do you own and run your own business??? :D this sounds like a comment from someone who does,,,,

nothing special about the post,,,just got it in an email, thought it was interesting,,,and i do understand what you were saying about entry level positions not paying much :p:

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

One acronym for you: LOAC. Others may not use it, but we do.

16. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It doesn't really matter if all those jobs were still in the U.S. anyway because they would just be takin by all the illegal mexicans here. We cant win :( . Sorry I am jadded because of were I live. :doah:

17. jekbrown

a) the number of men in an army is rarely the determining factor for who wins in modern warfare. The romans were pretty much always outnumbered by the various germans, arabs, africans etc they tended to fight against and they were dominant for centuries. They didn't even have cruisemissiles or stealth bombers... just a bunch of well trained guys who knew how to kill people with a heavy knife.

b) they have nukes, whether or not those nukes can reach us is in question. I have little doubt that our anti-missile program is further along than they are telling us... arming the anti-missile missiles with tac nukes probably helps. Further, there is NO question that our nukes can reach them... no, china doesnt want ANY part of a nuke throwing contest with the US.

c) their numbers are their great strength... but at the same time their great weakness. Once you start destroying their infrastructure, they would end up with a billion starving cold guys sitting in dark houses. Not exactly a great advantage in a war. Those kinds of conditions would probably lead to a revolution... and the leaders would end up going the way of Mussolini.

d) if we got in a shooting war with China, there is no need for us to invade in order to beat them and therefore no need to even face their big army. You start with a naval blockade is first... next you shoot down any airplanes that try to leave or go in... then you attack infrastructure targets with standoff weapons at your leisure. Then you just wait for them to collapse. Sort of like the seiges of old, except back then the seigers couldn't destroy targets inside the castle/fort with pin-point accurate stand off weapons. China's economy depends on massive imports/exports... including stuff they need to eat. Their lack of a real blue water navy and an airforce that can beat ours is their great weakness. We need imports to survive too, but we have the military capability to guarentee that we get them. Thats worth more than 10 billion grunts.

e) lastly, people seem to forget that China hasn't had a military engagement since they invaded Vietnam in the 1970s (where they got their butt kicked I might add)... us on the other hand have a TON of battle-hardened grunts. From Desert Storm I/II, Somalia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Grenada etc etc we have guys who have put bombs on targets, actually been shot at by the enemy etc. This is priceless experience and if we did have to go head to head against them would pay off huge. While our guys have been kicking butt, the chinese army has spent most of its time bullying its own mostly-subservient population. Even if their training was half as good as ours, their military experience is pathetic.

j

18. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

OH GOOD GRIEF !!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not a business owner, if anything I'm just a jaded working man with plenty of experience on both sides of the employment coin (employed & unemployed)....I suppose I've just come to realize that mantras like "Buy American" are mostly just lazy words spoken by people who should take a more active interest in their careers and their own personal development. Nobody is entitled to a job.....in fact the Constitution only guarantees our right to "pursue" happiness. Hmmmmm :thinking:

As for the rest of the discussion about China/War/Nuclear Preparedness.....I will simply offer up a link that may clarify things: :D

http://www.media.ebaumsworld.com/endofworld.swf

20. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

LOL!!!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Sorry to laugh at your frustration, but I had no choice. I haven't heard that saying in a long time, and it along with the smileys is just plain funny. Crap, I can almost hear the exasperation in your tone when you realized that everyone ignored your previous pleas......:doah: