Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

issue with complete driveline swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by desertrat67, Jan 1, 2005.

1. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

ok, in june i bought an 84 GMC 3500 body and frame to put all the components from my chopped up 88 Chevy V30. When i was mounting up the tranny crossmember it did not line up in the same spot. It used different holes in the frame and those didn't even line up propperly. I ran without the front shaft in for a while and when i went to put it in the shaft was too long. Was there that much variance between frames between 84 and 88 to cause this? I looked at the motor mounts and there is only about 1/2 an inch of fore aft movement possible. Do i just get the shaft shortenned(don't want to since i think the old one was too short anyway) or is the something i can do to move the driveline back about 2-3 inches.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Did both trucks use the same tranny and t-case? A difference there could account for a length difference. T-case adapter could have changed in that timeframe also.

Either way, sounds like it's time for a trip to the driveshaft shop. ;)

3. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

i took the engine tranny t-case out of one and put it all into the other. oh well, i guess it is shortenning time or just wait unitil i can afford a doubler and get a longer front shaft and relocate the crossmembers to accomodate that.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

But the question is... Did the tranny a t-case of truck 1 match that of truck 2? If one had a Turbo 400 and the other had a 465 then there could be a difference in the total length. :)