Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Issues driving in snow..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Jan 6, 2003.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If I take the rig over 10 mph in 4wd hi or lo while in the snow then my front tires have a mind of their own. They will take the blazer in any direction that they want to go causing me to correct the steering, just to have them jump the opposite way and spin me sideways. This is a big PIA and it's basically undriveable in snow except for real lite snow and 2wd. I know my steering stabalizer could probably stand to be replaced but do you think something else is going on to? I know the stabalizer helps with bump steer but I'm not typically hitting any bumps in the snow /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. BTW neither axle is locked.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Bad hubs or differential? Can't think of anything else that might cause a "jumping" sensation bad enough to spin the vehicle, I've never experienced that in my truck in the snow. (actually, in any 4wd vehicle)

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It's not really a jumping sensation.. more like the steering wheel jerking out of your hands yet the steering wheel is not moving, only the tires are. I thought about the hubs, I still have the auto locking hubs in it, I guess it's time to put my manuals on.

Any other ideas?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you certain that the gear ratios are matched front and rear? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That will cause really bizarre handling in 4WD.

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

To my knowledge yes. I have ran them in 4wd on gravel roads and dirt roads with no issues. Just for some reason they don't like the snow.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You have loose bearings taht is my guess

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, I'd toss the hubs regardless, I don't care what anyone says, the auto hubs were garbage. (and you won't hear many say otherwise) As a matter of fact, I *think* (according to my parts manual) that GM tried auto hubs on the 1 tons for '85, but in '86 they weren't available again. That right there would tell you that at least that auto style hub just isn't strong enough.

Regardless, my own personal experience has shown me that they live up to their reputation. No matter how easy you are on them, no matter how well you maintain them, they will screw you when they are most needed.

I went with some factory Spicer manuals off of an earlier 1/2 ton truck (the yellow knob style) and they haven't given me an ounce of problem, and they are pretty old. (but cheap!)

8. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

your u-joints on the axle shafts may be bad.....