Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

issues while doing u-joint steering shaft..help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Feb 3, 2004.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Am I blind or did I grab the wrong shaft?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

the shaft is from an mid 80's van.

differences...

van has smaller end clossest to steering wheel and lager end at the steering box than the factory set up.

Am I missing something obvious or did I get the wrong shaft? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

any body!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You trying to u-joint your stock shaft, and get rid of the pot/rag joints in the stock truck steering shaft?

My dad has a '74, I have an '86. Both use different ways to mount the steering shaft to the column. I can't remember which is which, but mine has a bolt THROUGH the column end, his is more like a set screw that fits in a slot in the column end. (they are dissimilar in other ways, but I can't remember...I think his is splined, mines not)

I have yet to see ANY factory u-joint application that will let you bolt something together for the trucks. Making it fit the later style column was easier IIRC, but even then, there was going to be some welding. I tried to get my dad to make some of these setups to sell, but he was worried about liability on a piece this critical.

Only mentioning it because I KNOW it was going to require welding to adapt the u-joints to a stock column out of a truck. Dunno about the steering box end, I guess I never looked at that, but if you have to cut and weld on one end...

Then again, maybe you were told a way to make a certain u-jointed application bolt in, but I find that unlikely since all I've seen are very short compared to the trucks.

4. supersize75k5

I know there is welding to do, I just notice the ends are differnt, I was under the immpression that the u joint piece is simply weled to the shaft then applied in the factory manner, I am going to a junk yard to go see what is up /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

You have the older splined tilt column you need to get the u-joint from a 89 or similar year chevy truck it has the splined end you need it is a little more work but you can do it. I had to do this for my buddy with a 78 truck with tilt. The tilt columns had to be different dam chevy why did they change them no need as far as I see. Almost forgot the steering box end you have will still work, you just need to weld twice instead of once I think. When you get the other shaft post a pic and I should remember what I did. Ryan

6. supersize75k5

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I dont have tilt /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

all i know is that all the steering shafts i pulled from vans would not work on our colums or boxes they are different at both ends.

8. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Sorry I diddent see your post till now, the shaft on the bottom kinda looks like the one I pulled from an 84 van, hmmm It bolted rite up but I have an 84 cab on my truggie /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif By all means what you have should work /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. supersize75k5

I am just a visual person but I am not seeing this /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

can anyone sanp some detailed pics...pretty please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I feel very dumb right now, if I am just not seeing it I am sorry /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-shawn

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Geez, there must be some guidelines to follow for what shaft to get from the junkyard?
    I am following all these posts very closely, but dont want ot run out and start anything till someone can give a good desc of how to do it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

11. supersize75k5

ttt

current uderstanding is that they changed the coloums in 79

one shaft splined, the other not

also, I beleave the wiring is different from the newer and older colums, thus creating more issues, such a having to swap steering colums.

this sucks big donkey balls /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

sooo any year colums that can be swaped in and the factory wiring be a plug and play for the colume? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Are supersize75 and supersize75k5 the same person /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Once upon a time there was a 75, then there wasn't, then there was a 8(something), then there wasn't, then there was a 75 again. so yes, same guy

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes, the columns changed in 79 from the splined to the other

[ QUOTE ]
    also, I beleave the wiring is different from the newer and older colums, thus creating more issues, such a having to swap steering colums.

[/ QUOTE ]

the wiring is not different, the plugins are reversed. if you look closely the rod that goes into the switch pushes on the old ones and pulls on the newer ones.

the front plug (furthest from driver) gets turned 180* and put closest to the driver. the other plug is turned 180* and put furthest from the driver.

i had to swap out columns on my buddys 77 and also did the ujoint steering for him. that was what i found out. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Interesting discussion. I was recently caught out in the wrong on this subject. I thought all of them were the same. FWIW, my son’s 77 has the slab sided column rather than splines. It certainly could be a swap, but are you guys sure on the 79 transition year?

16. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im preaty sure that it was 79.

my 78 blazer w/tilt had the splines.
    my friends 77 truck w/ tilt had splines
    junkyard 76 or 77 crewcab w/o tilt had splines

junkyard 79 w/o tile truck had slab
    my old 79 w/o tilt had slab sided
    both my 83s (1 w/tilt 1 w/o tile) have slab sided
    junkyard 82 w/o tilt had slab

havn't cheaked my dads 79 truck yet

im not sure what year gm changed the switch, didn't even know about it until i swaped my friends

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The switch reversal is for tilt/non-tilt columns and has nothing to do with year. Go to a parts store and ask for two ignition switches, one for a tilt column and one for a standard column and you'll see for yourself. Identical switch, just reversed with a different steel cage.

You'd think "Bowtie" would be in on this thread...he sells U-joint steering shafts and should have the skinny on what fits what.

Rene

18. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

19. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

you're right rene, i should of been on this thread but it's the first time i've seen it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but from what i've seen and the rigs that i've swap out the shafts on 78 to 79 is the break from a splined output to side slotted.

supersize75k5 - from what i've experienced the ragjoint is the weak link with the steering shaft. although it's better to replace both ends with a ujoint you can just get rid of the ragjoint only. use your existing shaft for the splined end.

20. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

do you still have the pics so i can see what you have?? all i see are the red x's