Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

issues with chevy dual saddle tanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcurrier44, Jan 19, 2005.

1. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I have two issues with chevy dual saddle tanks:

1. They have their gas fills on opposite sides of the truck and you have to park just right inorder to get the gas station hose to reach the opposite side tank.

2. When you fill them up they like to splash/burp gas all over the place before the pump automaticly shuts off.

I have searched for info on fixing both of these issues and haven't come up with any good answers. Going to be doing alot of mods to a new truck in the next couple of months and would like to know if anyone has ideas on how to solve this.

Thanks
    ROB

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeh chevy trucks are a PITa to fill up, most of them anyways

they have a venting problem

only thing can do for now is get out flashlight and inspect hoses and vent tubes and such for kinks, etc

they are like this, very common problem

on my chevies i barely stick nozzle in filler neck jsut enough to keep from spilling, and hold it there at just the right angle while filling, its about the only way to do it and be able to go about half filling speed without shutting off over and over

3. rcurrier44

TTT

Anyone delt with this?

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I would say the burping has to be vent related. (knock on wood) My crew cab doesn't have a problem like that. I can stick the nozzle in as deep as it should be and set the lever, it shuts off without any fuel spitting back out.

5. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The dual tanks on my 83 shortbed work great. I do know that the newer tanks like mine have a larger inlet hose to help this issue, but I don't remember exactly what year they switched them. I think early 80s, I don't think it was the same year as the 81 switch, I think it was after that. Not sure though.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if so motivated remove both and use 30gal or bigger blaz or burb tank and make mounts in the back of frame and relocate 1 door to fill and this woulld be vary nice looking compared to the 2 tank setup. thats what i did to get rid of them and not look at them with the 3 body lift. also used a tbi tank and didnt need a ex pump setup for fuel delivery.:cool1:

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

both my crew cabs haul dual tanks. I don't have problems with fueling :dunno: As far as the tank on the oposite side I always fill one tank and turn around to get the other. :waytogo:

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You can tee them together

A guy I know used copper tubing(2 inch I think) to "TEE" both filler necks and vent hoses together on his C30 ramp truck so he could fill both tanks at once,from either side of the truck--it took a little fabrication,but it worked out well..he said it filled much faster than it used too,without shutting the gas pump nozzle off every 10 seconds(like all my trucks except the diesel do,dam thats annoying when your filling the tank in 0 degree weather!)...:crazy:

9. rcurrier44

Thats interesting, teeing them together haden't crossed my mind. I like the idea of being able to fill both at the same time.

Its funny, most of you talk about having the pumps shut off every 10 seconds. Mine doesn't shut off till it splashes a bunch of fuel out all over the side of the truck (and usualy me). My truck is an older (I think 75) one that has no gas cap doors...the caps are righ on the side of the truck. I wonder if these trucks have a lower gas cap height and thats what is causing the splash back.

This new truck is a later one with actual doors over the gas caps. I'll have to measure to see if it is any different.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

All GM trucks fill up S-L-O-W-.....

Every GM truck including my van has that problem,filling up slow,or it will peuke back on you and shut the nozzle off--I swear every time the gas pump clicks off,you get screwed out of some gas--:mad: --the only truck I've had that doesnt do this is the 82 K20 diesel,it has dual tanks,but I notice the filler necks are much larger than those on fuel tanks for gasoline....

My friend that "teed" his tanks together used copper,but it was costly,he didnt want it to rust inside so he used copper,but stainless exhaust pipe could be used,or even galvanized electrical conduit(he went like this when I mentioned the conduit!:doah: ) because he had just installed an addition on his house and re-wired the electical service,and some conduit left over,and he had galvanized chain link fence post pipe that wouls have fit too--woulda been a lot cheaper!....
    He claims his tanks now fill much faster without "splashback" because now BOTH vent hoses are tied into the copper "filler" pipe with 1/2 inch copper tubing,and you get twice the venting you would normally have...:crazy:

11. rcurrier44

I have 60 feet or so of galv conduit in a couple of different sizes out back behind the shop. I picked it up free to use on exhaust systems a couple of years ago. It sounds like just the ticket to cure both problems at the same time!