Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Issues with steel braided brake hoses?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OneInTheSun, Sep 25, 2002.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

I figure it's about time I get extended brake lines, so I'm thinking about going with the stainless steel braided.

I always heard these are the way to go, but recently I've read some bad things about water getting in between the braid and the hose and freezing, and similarly with dirt/mud (bottom of the page) getting in between and wearing away the hose.

Has your experience shown this to be a real world concern or just worst-case scenario theories?

Bottom line - Stick with rubber or go stainless steel braided?

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Stainless.

As with anything this important (i.e. brakes). Proper maintainence, replacing when necessary, common sense, etc. all come into play. A rubber hose is more apt to get cut/rubbed by debris. Also it comes into direct contact with grease, oil, gas, UV, etc. Rubber lines need to be replaced and so do Stainless flex lines (as most have rubber/poly cores) as the cores wear out. The stainless should last much longer though and will also protect against some damage that would take out a rubber line. Rubber is fine, but it tends to fatigue and stretch. Spend the extra and get the stainless braid but remember they will last a long time, but not a lifetime.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if thats what you're worried about, get skykacker lines they have a sealed protective clear rubber hose around the steel. there are pics of mine in my webshots.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have the Skyjacker braided stainless hoses and they have a plastic coating on the outside. It prevents mud/dirt/water etc from getting into the actual braided stainless part of the line. 72THING has the procomp braided stainless lines which do not have the coating, but he has not had any problems out of them.