Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

issues with swapping the S-10 cab on my jimmy...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Aug 21, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have an 85 K5 and am wondering just how many problems i will run into if I try'n swap a S-10 cab on my rig? I want just the front cab part, so I can tube/flatbed the rear end. I would prolly run tube doors, hack the front fenders whiteknight-style etc. I have no probs with using a floor shifter for my tranny... kinda wanted one anyway, but what other issues will i run into? Also, some peeps seem to have engine clearance issues... i have a 350 now but someday will prolly go big block, any easy/cheap way to make room for both? will i need to relocate my radiator? what about the steering shaft-alignment issues?

last question: which years of s-10 would be preferable for the swap? Since so much sheetmetal would be hacked off and the entire thing prolly line-x coated, I oughta be able to find an old junk body somewhere cheap, but if certain years S-10 bodys would be better candidates itd be neat to know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ive done searches and after reading lots of posts on the issue I still have the above questions. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif any info appreciated.

j

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've looked around quite a bit for a friend of mine who has an s-10 on a 79 blazer frame, mainly for steering alignment issues, but have not found much. If somebody has good pictures of the steering shaft setup it would help to solve the problem that he is having and the one you will probably have. My buddy said that he may just bite the bullet and drop the cash for a full hydro steering setup and be done with it for good.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i have hydro assist, but I dont really want to go full hydro (prefer being street legal until I am rich and can afford a kick azz tow rig etc!) for the time being.

j