Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

isuzu amigo as second 4x4? offroad performance?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Jan 18, 2007.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

since there's already been a thread asking about the kia sorento, why not ask about the isuzu amigo? one is for sale near me, and i've heard some good things but that thing is really low to the ground. anyone tried one offroad? can they be beefed up to handle something like BMRA or even moab. that would be sweet, since the gas cost has kept me away from moab, so far. in the blazer, the round-trip would cost me about half as much as the truck itself cost.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

They CAN be built ... but they aren't cheap to.

I have a Gen2 ('01) Amigo aka "Rodeo Sport" ... bone stock, mind you. Goofy Dana 44 rear, independent front. ARB finally made an air locker for the rear, or maybe it was the front. Not much else, optionwise. THE place to look is CalMini.com for suspension & stuff.

The older ones may be solid front, I don't remember. They're not QUITE as small as a Zuke, and not as ugly =))

Note the early, 89-94, only come in a 4cyl with stick ... the gen2's, 98-02, can have V6 and auto. (And, IMHO, are much better trucks ... I call mine my "Blazerito", as it's a damn capable, and speedy, little truck :D

-- A

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

the one i saw was automatic, which my lazy self prefers, and had a 3.4L v6, according to the sign. looks like my concern is well-founded, though. not much clearance, and limited sources for lifts and other mods. hmmm.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Just bought a 99 2wd 4cyl 5 speed one for the girlfriend. I like it seems to be built very good. Also looks like it will be fairly easy to work on also. As for after market stuff, it is very limited. The 4cyl is kind of slugish, but it not a sports car so its ok. I already have horrible plans to exocage it install a tcase and a solid front axle, and maybe a chevy 4.3. :doah:Girlfriend said I have to wait 2-3 year before I can start hacking on it.:haha:

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

It's a 3.2L ... 205hp, though, and a real two-speed xfer case (albeit with pushbutton crap for front axle disconnect or somesuch.)

-- A