Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Isuzu engine swap

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by blasphemous, Mar 12, 2007.

1. blasphemous

blasphemous 1/2 ton status

I've been considering an Isuzu diesel engine as an option for a while. It was between a Caddy 500, Olds 455, Cummins 4BT/6BT or an Isuzu plant. I first decided to start with the Olds 455 since I had most of the parts handy already from a past Cutlass project.
    However, I just recieved a call tonight from a guy I work with. He said he has a buddy that's got an Isuzu truck on his farm that's being parted out. As far as he knew, it's a 6cyl turbocharged engine with 280k miles on it. He said It can be started up and heard run.
    To be brief, I can pick it up for less than the machine work to prep my 455 for install. I can pretty much pull whatever else I want for the motor when I pull it, including the transmission. So, I figure I can get a diesel (which I really want), an overdrive transmission (again, something I'd like to have) and save money.
    For all the gurus out there... What should I look for on this engine? Anything I should keep an eye out for? Is the tranny any good and will it hold up to offroad abuse?
    I'm going to move then engine back on the frame to move some of the weight off the front end. The batteries, radiator and anything else I can move will be over the rear axle. It's going to be a K5 frame w/ a Mazda pickup cab and clip on it w/ a custom flatbed.

2. blasphemous

It's not going to have a Blazer body on it. I can pretty much put my cab where ever I want on the frame... within reason. Also, I've already considered notching the firewall to inset the engine. ALMOST like a van, even debating having the inside trans tunnel removeable.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You are thinking in the right path.
    I have a K5 that had a 1300 lbs turbo diesel transplanted in and it's too heavy on the front and the first thing I am thinking when I put that engine in my crew cab is move it back a few inches, first it will clear the front cross member so i don't have to notch it, second it will put the weight behind the front axle instead of above it.
    I don't know what transmission the isuzu uses but I am sure it will be easier for you to make it work with a Tcase than it is to make the engine work with your tranny.
    And like you said it's an overdrive.
    I have been trying to find an ISUZU diesel but i am looking for the NPR isuzu which I believe is a big 4 cylinder TD.

4. blasphemous

I'd kick my self in the ass if I passed this up. Assuming it's as good as my buddy says it is. I'll just run the Isuzu overdrive 5 speed and put in a divorced 205. I think that'd be the easiest way around the t-case issue.
    I'm assuming that a full long block 455 would probably weigh in around 700lbs. I was even thinking of moving that back a few inches. I'll probably be looking at getting about 6" or so w/ the diesel.

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Looks like you are already getting into fabbing considerations. I'd also scour the internet to find someone who's put an Isuzu in a K5. See what adaptors are out there and potential problems to overcome.

Take as much of the Isuzu as you can:D Radiator, harnesses, crossovers, mounts, etc. Never know what you can make work later. Better to toss parts after the build than find them to finish:haha:

Good Luck & :bow::bow::bow:

6. blasphemous

What ever I can fit in my truck, I'm taking. Crossmembers, wiring, fuel tank/s, etc.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if you were putting in anything other than a K5 I would say divorced works fine, but if you are moving teh engine back even a couple of inches and want a divorced case, you will end up with a really short rear diveshaft. :doah:

8. blasphemous

I didn't really consider that. I may have to look into adapting a GM transmission and a married transfercase then. Once I get the engine, I'll have to do some mock up and see what lengths look like and stuff like that.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Wait to see how long it is, if the tranny is short it might still be doable but you need to see when it comes.

10. blasphemous

UPDATE:
    Had a buddy closer to the truck check out the engine. Two things he noticed... both bad. First, the truck is an auto... not a stick as first thought. Second, the guy started it up and "**** shot everywhere". They think it's a cracked head.
    He may still have another motor, but the guy said this was his best motor. He's going to check out the other trucks in his yard though. Kind of sucks, I was really hoping for some diesel power (that I can afford right now).