Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ISUZUs new motor...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Jan 14, 2004.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Anybody else read much about the new 3.5L Direct injection Isuzu? I was just reading a bit about it and it seems cool. It boasts 250hp @5600rpm and 146lbs ft @3000rpm. It runs a compression ratio of 10.3:1 to get those numbers and the recomended fuel grade is 87 octane. The econimy expected out of a Rodeo equiped whith this motor is 18/23 in a 2wd and 17/21 in a 4wd. And the entry cost of $24,145 2wd and $26,145 4wd. Looks perty neat, especially when you consider its the first DI motor in a car under $100,000 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A "small" (compared to 4.3) V6 getting the same or worse gas mileage as a V6 equipped fullsize rig, (I'm speculating here, but I have to assume that a newer 4.3 truck is getting better mileage) with pitiful torque doesn't sound "cool" to me.

Not flaming you, just seems for a motor that size, torque output could be a bit better, and economy should be much better. It's 2004, not 1986. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I suspect a 4.3 in a Blazer gets the same economy if not better, without direct injection, and makes more torque to boot.

Then again, if you want a Honda-revving motor in your SUV, have at it!

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Then again, if you want a Honda-revving motor in your SUV, have at it!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

250 hp and only 146 lbs of torque?????? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Only 21 claimed MPG on the hiway /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    No thanks
    I'll stick with my 18 mpg 350

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That izuzu motor is a piece of crap not worth it's weight if that is it's best numbers that it can put down. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    izuzu= :/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifyawn]
    Isn't there an S-10 forum or midsize, whatever the little trucks are called, here at CK5?

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I think Isuzu is under appreciated, it is cool that they developed a direct injection engine in an inexpensive car. If anyone reads Petersons 4 Wheel & Off-Road I believe they had some good things to say about this engine.

Seems like most automakers are happy with producing the same ole things year after year.

7. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Diesels already have direct injection

8. dyeager535

I don't think anyone is complaining it was made by Isuzu, but the fact is, it is just a larger version of every small car engine...no torque, and requires a horrendous amount of RPM to reach the HP peak.

Technologically it's pretty cool, but a carbed 3.8L V6 could achieve that kind of MPG in a 3800lb car in the 80's, and STILL have more torque. I don't see how a (theoretically) heavy SUV benefits from a high revving no torque motor.

Don't see a lot of people on here contemplating VTEC swaps into their rigs, or going to a small block from a BBC so they can lose low end torque.

I think that it is entirely possible to get a 350 to put out that kind of MPG, and still put that isuzu to shame on torque. HP is a different matter, but what have they really accomplished with the direct injection? GM runs 10:1 on 87 without it, similar gas mileage, on larger engines, so what has been done better?

Olds Bravada Nothing special about that motor I know of, and yet it's larger, with a small MPG penalty.

Maybe I expect too much, but I think this *is* more of the same, except the Isuzu has direct injection.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

10. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i typoed the torque number, it should be 246 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    As far as the motor goes i think its great. It certifyed by the EPA as an energy saving/ low emmisions motor, that say ALOT. It also won the Popular Science Best of Whats New Award, that again says something. Flame if you will but Isuzu is a great motor company. Getting Direct Injection into an entry level vehicle so that thier motors are less harmfull to the enviroment is something i dont see anybody else doing.
    As far as the comp ratio goes, GM and everybody else my well be able to run high comp ratios but its not able to run 87 is it? The isuzu can run ony any grade of gas whith the comp ratio. The direct injection allows for higher compression whith lower grade fuel, thus more complete combustion and less emmsions.

11. rjfguitar

It wouldn't stand a chance in a fullsize rig offroad so why are we still talking about this lawn mower motor?

12. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

ok i guess im in the wrong group here. Ill shutup seeing as you have no liking of technology /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

No, you're not completely in the wrong group here. I think it's great to finally see a DI gasoline engine. And I hope that other manufacturers will soon follow.
    As for 250hp and 246lbs*ft, it's more horsepower than my 350 is pushing.

14. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Its great to see what Isuzu is doing with technology. from the Isuzumax to this, they are at least putting forth effort. And i think those who complain about this "lawnmower engine" would have loved to have those power numbers when you bought your 350 equiped truck in the 80's. It put out what, 160 hp in '86?

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    ok i guess im in the wrong group here. Ill shutup seeing as you have no liking of technology /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I love technology, especially the new duramax that is direct injected. I just don't wan't to keep talking about little tiny motors regularly. You just made a thread the other day about tearing down some 2. something 4 banger. I have no problem with smaller trucks but we have a forum just for threads like this where S-10's and other small trucks are disussed. There is a reason that there is more than a 3 dozen forums on CK5. This site is considered a "fullsize" truck website because "fullsize" trucks are what almost all of the members own. The garage is already cluttered enough and distinguishing which forum best matches the topic or question you would like to discuss is the whole idea of 35 different forums.

16. dyeager535

Haha! 246 is *bit* better.

Now I'm not SOOO critical of this motor. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Still think the HP peak is a bit high, but it's not a bad little motor.

Now, to take that and put it on a 350 or 454....

Yes, other manufacturers are running on 87 and 10:1. Last I heard the "lowly" GM truck motors are running over 9.5:1 on 87, and thats pretty impressive what with the possibility of heavy loads. It would probably be higher yet with DI.

My whole problem with that motor was that mistyped torque number.

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Open to all CK5 visitors and members, this forum is for the general discussion of almost any truck-related topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the forum discription again. He is talking about a motor that is related to his interest in smaller trucks. Your far from a moderator on this site and certainly dont understand what the hell is going on around here. Complain and gripe about all the "poser" crap you were given over your rig then dish out the same crap on someone else for liking smaller trucks?

Try this on for size:
    [ QUOTE ]
    hypocrite

n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that they do not hold [syn: dissembler, phony, phoney]

[/ QUOTE ]

And goodbye, you are now on ignore.

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Complain and gripe about all the "poser" crap you were given over your rig then dish out the same crap on someone else for liking smaller trucks?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You are the only one that I have heard lately bringing up that disussion, maybe you should stop talking about.
    I did not "dish out crap" to him for having a small truck, read my post again, I clearly state I have no prob with smaller trucks.
    I am not a moderator and neither are so you have no right to run your big mouth at me either. I was simply telling him that there is a forum better suited for his topic. You obviously have no idea what the hell goes on here if you don't understand why there is 35 different forums. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif[ QUOTE ]
    And goodbye, you are now on ignore.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ditto /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are an official CK5 Member you will have the added benefit of posting questions in category specific forums which is highly recommended, this will allow other Members including yourself to easily find and answer your questions quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]
    These would be Steve's words about posting in the Garage. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well i always thought thast since every truck has its own forum this was kinda like the general GM truck discusion. So i think its well whithin perameters to be discusing an Isuzu motor here. Thats my point and im not moving, arguing is for children...