Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IT and IT support people: Send me your humorous stories

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 30, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

http://www.rratch.com/thoughts/index.html

Or send me anything. I'm trying to put together some kind of website, and I figure if I have actual viewers of it, I may get off my ass and put half an effort into it...
    The urge to write for a trade just came to me recently, so it would be neat to have a place for articles that might interest IT people, not articles I write, but general articles IT people write on different subjects. Not like "Network Computing" etc, but a place where you can find classed articles that cater to your flavor of the month. I dunno if other people have this, but I go through phases, where one month I'll be totally into scripting and batching, and the next month, totally into messaging forms and dev, then the next month, streaming media serving, and so on.
    I know we have some IT or just plain computer-interested people here, so I figured it might be a good place to start advertising. Call it a shameless cry for traffic and contributions...

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Riding along with a friend of mine that done IT work, his cell phone rings. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif It was ALWAYS rings. He answers start asking, Go to START, SETTINGS, Printers... Do you see the printer you want to print to in the list... is computer connected to the network... is the printer turned on... OK, is there any lights on the printer.... OK, Is the printer plugged in.... Good, is the power strip turned on and plugged in.... Huh, ok, try hitting the reset button on the power strip.... Nothing, OK, We'll be there in few minutes.
    We get there walk in there are 4 people stading at the printer hitting buttons... why is this not printing... there's no lights on... well its plugged in....

Crawl under that table and start checking lines.....
    Printer was plugged into the power strip, but so was the power strip /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Nothing like a $200 after hours call for a power strip being plugged into its self /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Eeeeeeeasy money! That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to start putting up. Tanks.

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Your collection would not be complete without the classic IBM technical builletin concerning mouse balls:

Abstract: Mouse Balls Available as FRU (Field Replacement Unit)

Mouse balls are now available as FRU's. Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacture of the mouse. Foreign ball can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced using the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction, and that any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items.

To re-order, specify one of the following:

Domestic Balls - p/n 33f8462
    Foreign Balls - p/n 33f4861

----------------------------------------

This notice was written by someone at IBM but most people doubt that it was written as anything but a joke. It's first appearance on the internet was in a usenet news posting back in 1989. IBM still lists this article in their service database (at least they did back in 1999).

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That is funny. A guy at work always steals my balls. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I scotched taped the inside of his mouse and put his ball back in so it wouldn't work. Then I sat there and listed to him hammer at his mouse and restart his computer for 15 minutes before he realized what I did. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status