Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It Broke All By Itself

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

What's the most dishonest/ funniest parts or tool return excuse you've ever given to a vendor?

Where's Tim when you need him? How about it Tim - what's the most pathetic return attempt you've had to date?

Mine: "You didn't tell me it wouldn't fit" Ha!

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

not mine but I saw on American Hot Rod, when that guy heated up a craftsman wrench and bent it at a 90* angle to get to a weird bolt and he took it back and they gave him a new one but they asked what had happened because it was like a 15/16 wrench, he said "it just bent" :D

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

at work when we break a tool, we have to do a "BTR" or broken tool report, so that can have QA verify that there is no parts left in the plane. I was tryin to cut a brass Gov. lock with a pair of safty wire pliers and i squeezed so hard that i snapped a handle off one side, so i was like "tool broken during normal use" I put that on every tool i ever broke it was a little joke between me and QA. So they sign it off and i take it to supply to get another one, and i told him i dropped it and it broke:D He looks at me kinda wierd ( i had a rep for BSing the supp. guys) i get the new one and walk away ad he come running after me, "bull **** during normal use" pointing at the brass that was all over the cutting surface of the pliers. :D :D I was like , too late, i alredy got the new ones.

pretty funny stuff.
    i thought,
    mabye..............

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LMAO that was halarious!!

Dale, your a funny guy, that made me spit water on my keyboard:confused::grin:

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

As for me, I have never returned anything... if I did break something I wouldn't have the guts to return it because I bet they would think I meant to break it.
    I do have some older craftsmen ratchets and sockets with cracks in, can I return them? They were my dads...

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yup if they say craftsman you can return them.

as for me I over extended a caddy caliper and didnt want to rebuild them so I took them back to the parts store and told them they didnt fit, got a new pair and didnt do that again :xmas:

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Where can I send them? I don't have a craftsmen store here, and the sears store only has appliances...

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

any sears store will take craftsman tools, some of the smaller stores, they will send it in and send you a new one.

9. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I've never taken any tools back, that I 'broke' abusing, but i bought a slide hammer once...3 whacks and the slide crushed the stop (crimp) and crushed my fingers:mad: i had to beat it on the curb to get it the slide to the normal position and used vice grips to keep it from doing it agian....I owned the tool a total of 3 hours and returned it-and it looked like hell (bent rod, huge chips and gouges in the paint from the curb)! I told em it broke, gave em the reciept, showed em my fingers and they promptly refunded my $....no questions asked! (actually they asked if I wanted to get another one-told em no, the job was done!)

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay cool thanks! Now I just need to find them.
    Will they replace all sockets? I have a 15/16" socket that has a big crack in, will they replace that?

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i returned a matco ratchet one time..... 25" long 1/2" drive flex head ratchet. i told him the truth, i had a 6 foot pipe on it and destroyed the teeth in it. he laughed and gave me another one...

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

what about there power tools?

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i was at a job and floor grinding machine needed disks changed. nothing we had was big enough for the nut. the job was next to a lowes, i measured it and went to bought a socket ($25:eek1:). took the nut off, changed the disk, put the nut back on and took the socket back. i said it wasn't the right size and i already bought the correct size.

14. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

I just did the same thing

15. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

took a 3/4 drive ratchet of mine i use at work back to sears 3 times in 1 month said don't know why they keep breakin'. only used a 6' pipe the other old one we got stands up to 2 people on a 10' pipe breaking bolts loose. returns no problem at my sears returned more than 50 sockets 30 screwdrivers 10 ratchets of all sizes. we use terms like channelhammers/prybar/drum opener and flatheadprychesels.

If it don't fit force it if breaks it needed replacing anyway

16. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I have had no problems at all returning broken tools to Sears. They are kind of a no questions asked place. I just say it broke and they give me a new one. I don't think the power tools hav ehte same policy though. I have destroyed several sockets with a pipe on the ratchet or using non impact sockets on an impact gun. Never had a problem. That is why I only buy Craftsman. Never afraid to break the tool since I can always bring it back and get a new one! :pimp1:

17. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you problem told him it was his fault for not providing the properer matco pipe
    :D

18. woods

woods Registered Member

I broke the lock on a 200 lbs comsec safe at work, everyone thinks I broke it using my hands....little do they know I actually broke the lock with a channel lock piler. That's what happens when a sergeant says you just gotta muscle it to open the lock. But I did get to see a locksmith break into the safe, it was pretty damn easy but he burned up like 4 high dollar drill bits.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if it says craftsmen they will replace it. Half the tools in my dad's toolbox came form when he had a tow truck. He would junk a car, find a rusted socket and go wire wheel it till you could just read craftsmen then off to sears. Heck hes given them a few that didn't say craftsment hey exchanged. They are stricter on it now, they give you remanufactured tools now, where as they used to go to the shelf and grab a new ratchet. I think its dumb but hey I break it I just get another one. I've broken my share of 3/8" craftsmen ratchets. They don't seem to be meant for repeated used with a cheater bar 2 feet off the end :)

20. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I had a rounded bolt head once where a standard would slip and the metric was too small, so I pounded the metic on with a 3 lb hammer till it fit, but it cracked.:D So when I got the bolt loose I took it back to sears and replaced it.:D