Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

It dosen't fit! M*&^#r F!%k HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Jan 6, 2007.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

So here is the story. I have a 81 k10 sub, it had a 12 blt in it. I bought a 14 blt ff rear end from a military surplus place. I had the bright idea to measure the spring perches before we broke our backs getting it in place and the 12 blt perches are 42.5 inches from center to center, the 14 blt I bought are 40.5 from center to center. Also the shock mounts are like 2 inches off. So whats the deal? Everybody told me that it would bolt right up! Can I just cut off the perches and reweld them in the correct location? Or am I screwed!!! Any ideas out there. Please help I got a 14 blt taking up valuable space in the barn when it should be under my truck!!!

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Only the 14bff3/4 ton will bolt right up. You got the 1 ton, Now you have to buy new perches and shock mounts.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You bought the 1 ton version not the 3/4 ton version. All you have to do is move the spring perches and relocate the shock mounts. If by everyone you mean your friend then I can believe "everyone" told you it would bolt right up. This swap has been covered on here aboot 1X10 exp 12 times. If you got the 4.56 detroit version that almost all military trucks had then moving perches and shock mounts is def worth it.

Ira

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Damn Im slow me and my long winded posts:doah:.

Ira

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

better check gear ratios too. military had 4.56 kind of rare to find that in a civilan model

6. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Yeah it has 4.56 and a detroit (and I only paid $200 it was unused in a crate). But can I reuse the perches and mounts or do I have to buy new ones?? Thanks!!!!!!!

7. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

good score. Grind those welds and break those suckers off. Or you could spend more money as mentioned and buy some new mounts and perches.

Mine was the same way, a pain in the arse but well worth it. I re-used the old stuff.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I would think if you are careful when you remove the old perches you should be able to reweld them in the new spot.

Ira

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

You can. I started to take mine off with a angle grinder and a sawzall. That didnt work so I cut them off with a torch. I was still able to re-use them afterwards and they are fine now after 4 years.

P.S. Mollyman- Did you happen to get it from a place called Clarks Truck Parts in Poca West Virginia? If so, I hope you dont have anything wrong with it. Those people are assholes and will NOT fix any problems with the axle even if they sold it to you defective. They told me in person when I bought mine from them that they would gladly fix anything that wasnt right after I installed it....and when I discovered a possible problem and called them about it...they basically laughed and said f u. NOBODY do business with clarks truck parts in poca, wv!!!!!

-Harrison

10. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

No, I didn't get it there. But thanks for the info. If I mess up the perches removing them where can I get some replacement ones? Anbody know? And how did you line them up and everything? I'm just worried about getting them in the right spot. They both need moved out exactly 1 inch.

11. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

New Perches

Check the vendor forum or go here---> http://Diy4X.com
    Kert makes some incredible stuff.:bow: